Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What Pleases?

Hebrews 13-Part 6
By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.   Hebrews 13:15-16


LET IT GLOW

What pleases me? A smile from a stranger, an encouraging word from a friend, a hug from a child, an unexpected bouquet of flowers, hearing "I love you"spoken to me, just to name a few. What is important isn't what pleases me but what pleases God? That's what I want to find out. I have been searching for answers for almost two years as I have been walking on this road of faith through the New Testament. Have I found the answers? Some. Today's key verses fill in the bits and pieces missing.

What pleases God?
  • Faith-Without faith is its impossible to please Him. (Heb. 11:6)
  • A gentle and quiet spirit is of great worth in God's sight. (1 Peter 3:4)
  • Obedience-To obey is better than sacrifice and to heed than the fat of rams. (1Sm. 15:22)
  • The condition of the heart-Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. (1 Sam. 16:7)
  • Deny self, take up your cross daily, and follow Jesus. (Luke 9:23)
  • Love, bless, do good to, and pray for your enemies. (Matt. 5:44)
  • Forgiving others. (Matt. 6:14)
  • Mercy shown.(Hosea 6:6)
  • Prayer and fasting. (Matt. 7:21)
  • Loving God-with all your heart, soul, and mind. (Matt. 22:37)
  • Loving your neighbor-as yourself. (Matt.22:39)
  • Look after the orphans and widows in their distress, and keep yourself from being polluted by the world. (James 1:27)
  • Meditate on His Word. (Ps. 119:11)
  • In everything give thanks. (1Thess. 5:18)
I am sure the lists could continue, and will continue. Maybe that should be my next project.


LET IT GROW

Now, what do our key verses say are the kind of sacrifices which please God?
  1. A sacrifice of praise that is offered continually. Sacrifice, used here, means a free gift; praise is a thank-offering, a sacrifice of praise presented to God for some benefit received.(Thayer's Lexicon) What kind of free gift can I give to God, who owns everything? Praise is what He wants, thanks for what I have received from Him. What might that be? The gift of salvation in Jesus, breath of life, daily needs, unending love and forgiveness, understanding, patience, mercy and grace, and so much more from Him. In Hebrew, the language in which the Old Testament is written, praise is made up of two words, hallal, meaning to praise, and jah, which is the word for God. So praise means "praise be to God" or "praise the Lord."(Harold Sala)
      Proper praise that pleases God is offered:
  • by Jesus, who is our High Priest, who offered Himself as the blood sacrifice for me, on the         altar of the cross (He interceeds for us, we go through Jesus to get to God). Jesus is the                altar upon which we lay our sacrifices of praise.
  • continually, so I am always praising Him.
  • is a sacrifice, so it may be costly (not feel like praising) or inconvenient (outside                 the church, with non-believers).
  • is the fruit of our lips, more than just thoughts directed towards God. Fruit means praises, which are presented to God as a thank-offering. It is spoken out unto  the Lord, either in prose or in song. (Guzik)
     2. Giving thanks to His name. Thanks means to praise, celebrate. We should approach the
         presence of God, attend the house of God, and acknowledge the work of God with an offering of
         thanksgiving. We thank God for what He has done and praise Him for who He is. We recognize
         the names of God, giving glory and honor of His divine perfections.

     3. Do good and share with others. Give to those in need and communicating with the poor. These
         acts are done in faith, and springs from love, is direffted to the glory of God. Koinonia can mean
         fellowship and generosity, sharing, contribution, or gift.

Do I give God an unending offering of praise out of my heart thoughout the day? Do my sacrifices involve my tongue, my actions, and my finances? Do I remember to present my body as a living sacrifice to God daily? (Rom. 12:1) (Falwell)

The sacrifices of praise coming from the lips of God's people please Him only when accompanied by loving action. (MacArthur)

Do I just speak words or do I share and care? Things to ponder.


LET IT GO

Sing praises to the Lord continually today.

Thank Him for all things.

Do good and share with others.

Strive to please God in all that I do.








No comments:

Post a Comment