Monday, December 19, 2011

Willingly Practice Piano?

Titus 3-Part 1
Remind them to be subject to rulers, to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good deed. Titus 3:1 NAS


LET IT GLOW

When I was in the second grade, Mom paid for me to take piano lessons. I was so excited at the beginning, that I would daily practice on a paper keyboard, imagining in my head what it sounded like. Then my parents bought me a real piano. It was an old upright with several keys that would not sound. Again, I used my imagination, since it was out of tune. As time went on, it was harder for me to be motivated to practice on that old thing. I should have been grateful for what I had, but after playing on a new piano at my teacher's house, it surely was hard. With that attitude, I often skipped practices.
Then, Mom arranged for me to walk down the hill to my grandpa and step-grandma's house to practice my lessons on her piano. It was a nicer piano, which had all keys working. But that became bothersome as time went on. I didn't want to walk down to their house, practice thirty minutes, and walk back uphill  five days a week. During the summer, my sister made me go. (Mom had a job.) I wasn't very willing, needless to say. In fact, one time I hid outside until I thought 30 minutes had passed and came inside. Of course it was probably only a few minutes, so she knew I didn't go. I lied when my sister asked if I had practiced. Eventually, the truth came out. What's it profit if you don't practice willingly and not  have to be made to do it? Eventually, I quit piano lessons. Later, I regreted it. I practiced hard when I took the required music courses for my elementary degree in college. I even became good enough to fill in for our church pianist. (I wonder how good I would have been if I had only continued willingly to practice throughout my childhood.)

Paul was telling Titus, in this verse, to remind Christians to be subject to some people in authority.

The The MacArthur Bible Commentary had this to say:
In his closing remarks, Paul admonished Titus to remind believers under his care of their attitudes toward:
  • the unsaved rulers and people in general (verses 1-2),
  • their previous state as unbelievers lost in sin (verse 3),
  • of their gracious salvation through Jesus Christ (verse 4-7),
  • of their righteous testimony to the unsaved world (verse 8),
  • and their responsibility to oppose false teachers and factious members withing the church (verses 9-11).
Submission to the authority of Scripture demands submission to human authorites as part of a Christian's testimony. (Rom. 13:1) [MacArthur]


Liberty Bible Commentary says,"This is in the middle voice and means 'put oneself' with the idea of doing it willingly and not being made to do it."

The rulers and those in authority refered to the king and civil authority. KJV uses the words "principalities" and "powers", obey "magistrates." They represented the offices of government and those who occupied them. Christians were, and are, to completely, and submissively obey. Not just respect, but compliance with their laws and directives. (Swindoll)
Sometimes I find this hard, don't you?


LET IT GROW

Remember, Nero was the ruler in the Roman Empire during Paul's time.

Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus states:
Nero can be described as thoroughly pagan; morally backrupt; cruel, oppressive, murderous, unjust, homosexual, sadistic; corrupt to the core. Rather than elevate God in the minds of pagan cultures, and instead of winning respect and admiration as His covenant people, Jews provoked hatred. Christianity, then considered a sect of Judaism, risked perpetuating the same counterproductive tension. A church cannot effectively evangelize a community while treating its citizens with contempt.

Do I treat others the way I want to be treated, or treat them like they treat me?

The believer's sphere of influence for good ought to be felt in every realm. Joseph, Daniel, and Moses are good examples of this. (Falwell)

Paul called for obedience and urged believers to be prepared to do good works. (Swindoll)

Warren Wiersbe, in his book, Be Faithful, said, "Christians were often looked on with suspicion in the Roman Empire because their conduct was so different and they met in private meetings for worship (1 Peter 2 & 3). It was important that they abe good citizens without compromising the faith. Ready to every good work means cooperating in those matters that involve the whole community. Our heavenly citizenship does not absolve us from responsibilities as citizens on earth."

Do I willingly do things in my community as a witness for Christ, or do I have to be told to do it? Sounds like "Love your neighbor" to me.

The wisemen were seeking the newborn King of the Jews so they could worship Him. I'm sure they did it quite willingly, without being made to do it. Do I have the same attitude?


LET IT GO

Do I have prejudices I need to let go?

Obey the laws of my land without compromising God's Word and my faith.

Willingly do it with good works.

Respect those in authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment