Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Look at Me

Titus 2-Part 1 But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine.  Titus 2:1


LET IT GLOW


I don't know where she picked it up, but when my granddaughter is talking to me and I'm busy doing a task, in order for her to know she has my attention and am listening to her, she'll say, "Look at me." Now, I can multitask. We women can have several compartments in our brain open at the same time. Our hands, eyes, and mouth can do various things at the same time, right? However,  my darlin' toddler doesn't think I am listening to what she is saying unless we have eye contact. Sometimes I stop working and look at her and other times I simply say, "I'm listening. What do you want?" But do I want God to treat me in the same manner? He has so much to contend with in this world, yet He stops and bends down to listen to me. The question is, "Do I treat the Lord in like manner, wrapped up in my own thing and not really listening to what His Spirit or Word says to me that instant? Ouch!
As Eli the priest told child Samuel to reply when he heard the Lord call him, "Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth," (1 Sam. 3:9-10) so do I.


LET IT GLOW

Paul is tellingTitus, But as for you, by a contrast to the false teachers, Titus is to teach sound doctrine. Sound means to be  well, to be in good health; true and incorrupt doctrine. (Thayer's Lexicon)

The MacArthur Bible Commentary says that:
Paul uses this word 9 times in the Pastoral Epistles and 5 times in the book of Titus. It is always in the sense that the truth produces spiritual well-being. The "things" Paul mentions in verses 2-10 pertain to truths, attitudes, and actions that correspond to and are based on biblical truth. In order not only to please God, but also to have an effective witness to unbelievers, God's people must know the truth that leads to spiritual health.

"Titus is to teach pure doctrine, which literally is "healthful' instruction. The Greek word rendered pure is a term from which we get our word "hygiene." Let your teaching be uncontaminated, wholesome, and health-giving. May the good hygiene of your teaching disinfect what has been contaminated and then stimulate healthy growth," states Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus.


This is my prayer, also. I don't want to water down the Word, nor give opinions of others. My goal is to teach the truth so you and I can live godly lives. I work on applying each lesson in my own life. How about you, dear friend? Can I say to others, "Look at me and see God's Truth in living color?" (That's a tall glass of tea, but the way it is. I have failed so many times, but it is a goal for which to strive.)


LET IT GROW

In chapter 1, we read of Paul's addressing church organizational leadership characteristics and the confrontation of false teaching for the church at Ephesus which Titus pastored. Now Paul is addressing the character of the church, various groups-young and old, men and women, leaders and servants. We all fall into one or more than one of these categories, don't we?

We are all being watched, sweet one. We are watched by children and teenagers, wondering if what we say lines up with what we do, practicing what we preach, or is it just words for others to do. Older believers are watching us, hoping our generation will faithfully carry on what they have built. Younger believers watch us for assurance and directions. Unbelievers are watching us to see if Christianity is a hoax or real.
Titus observed Paul for years and saw his genuine faith lived in reality.
Paul expressed his desire for each congregation to pursue godly behavior "so that they may encourage" (2:4), "so that the word of God will not be dishonored" (2:5), "to be an example of good deeds" (2:7), "so that the opponent will be put to shame" (2:8), and "so that they will adorn the doctrine of God our Savior" (2:10).
(Swindoll)

Am I watching my P's and Q's? Am I encouraging believers, honoring God's Word, doing good deeds, shaming evil, and adorning my Savior's doctrine?

Paul named five groups, all of whom were being watched:
  • older men (verse 2)
  • older women (verse 3)
  • younger women (verses 4-5)
  • younger men (verse 6)
  • bondslaves (verse 9).
We will tackle each group in future lessons. I'm curious what Paul had to say to each and what God has to say to me.

LET IT GO

Watch my P's and Q's in words and deeds, since I'm being watched.

Set my goal so I can say "Look at me and follow me."

Keep my teaching pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment