Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What Can I Give?

Titus 2-Part 6
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age.
Titus 2:11-12 NAS


LET IT GLOW

What can I give to Jesus this Christmas season? I give gifts to others, but what about Him? Its answer can to me in a  song, "Little Drummer Boy."Here are some words that helped me find the answer:
I am a poor boy too; I have no gifts to bring, that's fit to give our King; Shall I play for You, on my drum? I played my drum for Him; I played my best for Him; Then He smiled at me, me and my drum. In the song, the only thing the boy had to give was playing his drum for the King. He played his best for Him. Was it acceptable? A smile told him yes.

Am I, playing my best for Him, living my best for Him, doing my best for Him? What can I give to the One who created all things, possesses all things, lacks for nothing, the King of Kings? The only thing I can give to my Savior is myself. He so graciously gave Himself to me. Isn't me what He wants? All of me. Is that what pleases Jesus? I think so, friend. Will you join me in surrendering our wills, our ways, ourselves to the New Born King?

In our previous lesson, we talked about the grace of God which is given to us as a gracious gift of salvation. Today we'll find another gracious gift-sanctification.

"Salvation is not only a change in position (set free from the slavery of sin), but it is also a change in attitude, appetite, ambition, and action. The same grace that redeems us also reforms our lives and makes us godly.
"Teaching" has the idea of "disciplining." We are disciplined by God's grace, trained to be the kind of people that glorify Him," says Warren Wiersbe in his book Be Faithful.

Using Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus as a reference, he explains:
In the spiritual life of the believer, salvation occurs in the past, a moment in time of rebirth from above
(John 3:3-8). Sanctification is a theological term which refers to the present condition of the believer: set apart for God's purpose. Both are God's doing on our behalf, not something we do for ourselves
(Rom. 8:28-29). Although, the Lord didn't leave us to carry out this supernatural task on our own. His grace not only saves, but it instructs us. It instructs us as a "little child." The term used here is paideuo, in the Greek. It places us in the role of the ignorant, like helpless tots receiving instruction from a loving parent. From Him we learn how to live, long before we're ready for book-learning.

Grace teaches us believers how to turn away from futile, destructive behavior to pursue that which is:
  • sensible (of sound mind)
  • righteous (that which is deemed good in the court of heaven)
  • godly (characterized by respect or reverence of God).
"Sober" is the word used in the KJV instead of "sensible." We can also use the words "self-control, prudence, restraint" as in Titus 2:2. This emphasizes the believer's relationship to himself, while "righteously" deals with his relationships with other people. "Godly" speaks of the Christian's relationship to the Lord, though the qualities must not be separated. (Wiersbe)

When is this to take place? In this present age believers are to live out this standard of conduct. Christians are not to live like it or for it. Christ redeemed us from this evil ag (Gal.1:4) so we must not be conformed to it (Rom 12:1-2). Neither should we walk according to its standard (Eph.2:2). We have tasted the powers of "the coming age" (Heb.6:5 NIV), and we shouldn't desire to cultivate the present age with its shallowness and godlessness. (Wiersbe)


LET IT GROW

The NIV says verse 12 this way: It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.

Am I saying "no" to ungodliness and worldly desirses, then saying "yes" to Jesus? Have you said yes to Jesus, making Him your Savior? I did 41 years ago. Now, the current question is, "Do I daily say yes to Jesus or am I living for me?"

Instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires.
Ungodliness in the Greek is asebeia, which refers to a lifestyle of irreverence, which inevitably breeds contempt for God. Such behavior that despises God we learn to reject.
Worldly desires refers to those things the Enemy covets-sinful by definition-or to the desperate, idolatrous kind of longing that leads to sin. World represents everything that isn't "in Christ" or of Christ.

Grace trains us to avoid desiring the things that the world desires and to avoid craving anything with worldlike motives. Grace instructs believers to enjoy wealth as a gift from God, while the world craves wealth as a means of power, self-gratification, or validation.

Yes to Jesus or yes to the world. Which am I saying yes to?


LET IT GO

Let go of the worldly desires and ungodliness, then follow Jesus.

I give myself to you Lord Jesus. Use my life for Your purpose and Your glory.

Strive to live a self-controlled, righteous, and godly life.

Share the grace of God with others this Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment