Thursday, December 15, 2011

Redeeming Gift Cards

Titus 2-Part 8
Who (Christ Jesus) gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.  Titus 2:14 NAS
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people zealous of good works. KJV


LET IT GLOW

Throughout the years I have bought loved ones gift cards for part of their Christmas gift. They were redeemed at a particular store or restaurant. Only that place would acknowledge that the price had been previously paid. Then it was of no cost to the holder of the gift card.
Jesus has done the same for His believers. He has redeemed us, paying the price for our salvation to be free to us. And what a price He did pay!

In our previous lessons, we've talked about the grace of God which is given to us in a gracious gift of salvation. It is through this generous gift of grace that we are sancified, glorified, and redeemed. Today's scripture focuses on grace as redemption.

Why did Jesus humble Himself and become a man? For one thing, it was so He might die for our sins and redeem us from all iniquity. Jesus freely gave Himself for each of us. I th;ink you will agree that no greater gift has been given.
We were a slave to sin, to evil, compelled to do its bidding, but Jesus purchased us out of that slavery. We are now owned by a new master.

Liberty Bible Commentary states this:
The word redeem, lutroo in Greek, means "to set free by the payment of a ransom." The believer is now set free from sin to become zealous of good works. This is why He humbled Himself (Phil.2:5-8) and became a man so He, the God-man, might suffer and die for our sins and redeem us from all iniquity.

Jesus took my place and paid the penalty for my sin so that I would be freed from slavery to sin. What an awesome, amazing, generous, and glorious gift!
Jesus paid the price so we would be His possession. He now owns me. He is my Master. I am to go to Him for directions on how, when, and where to serve Him each day. Unfortunately, there are times that I serve my old nature, myself, yielding to the lusts of this world, the lust of my flesh. Then I come back to the feet of Jesus repenting.


LET IT GROW

Looking at the rest of this verse, it says that Jesus gave Himself so He could purify for Himself a people.
Purify means to free from the guilt of sin. My slate is clean. I couldn't do it for myself, but Jesus could and did.
Why did Jesus die for me? So I would no longer be guilty of sin and would be a part of His peculiar people who are zealous for good deeds.

KJV uses the word peculiar to describe His people. It refers to those selected by God from the other nations for his own possession. (Thayer's Lexicon)

God selected you and me to be a part of His special group, the elite, His chosen ones, His own possession, His peculiar people.
Of all the people He could have chosen to be His child, God chose me and you. We didn't do anything to deserve it. He just chose us. Now if that doesn't ring your bell, what will friend? Every once in a while it's good to be reminded. Such love!

This word peculiar is found in other Scriptures:
Deuteronomy 14:2 says For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God, and the Lord hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.

Exodus 19:5 says Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine.

1 Peter 2:9 says But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

I, for one, am glad to be called a peculiar person, to be God's posession. Aren't you? (Of course, without knowing the definition of the word, by just looking at me, some might call me peculiar anyway.) :0)

 Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus states:
Since we are under a new master, good deeds arise from within, driven by zeal, which was a "passionate commitment" or "enthusiasm." The Puritans refer to this dramatic internal change of motivations as "the power of the new affections." Similarly, new affections displace the old, and the Christian gradually grows in his or her respect and reverence for the Lord. Transformed from within, we act on our desires to please the Father with good deeds, just like His Son. In a real sense, we outgrow our desire for sin because the grace of God has saved us, continually sanctifies us, and has predestined us for glory (Rom. 8:28-39).

How wonderful is the grace of redemption! Do I act like God's special possession? Can people tell I'm a Christian by watching me? By listening to me? Are my deeds acts of love?


LET IT GO

Act like a redeemed, purified, peculiar person.

Ask the Master daily for instructions concerning how He wants me to serve Him..

Serve the Lord with zeal, enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment