Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pecan Pie

Titus 3-Part 3
But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:4-7 NAS


LET IT GLOW

When my husband's family gets together for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, they always request my pecan pie. When I make it, I use only the best ingredients. I want fresh eggs, not old ones; a new bottle of corn syrup, not last year's; clean sugar that has no bugs in it; a storebought pie crust, because my homemade ones are tough; pecans without hulls. Now using the best ingredients doesn't guarantee a perfect pie. I always have to follow Betty Crocker's recipe for that to happen. What are the best ingredients for the Christian life? They are God's grace and mercy, love and kindness that Paul talks about here.

Paul urges Titus and all pastors to supply God's people with only the best ingredients. (verse 8)

"God saves, regenerates, renews, and justifies believers in order to guarantee their status as heirs of His kingdom-not merely citizens in the 'city of God,' but part owners with Christ (Rom. 8:17). How's that for grace? " tells Charles Swindoll.

When I was in the place described in verse 3, I was rescued by the love and kindness of God. He reached out to me long before I reached out to Him.
My salvation wasn't based upon any works of righteousness that I did. It was according to His mercy that He saved me. God is always the initiator; we receive from Him before we give anything back. Faith alone saves, but the faith that saves is not alone. We must never put the cart of works before the horse of grace!
[Resource: David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible on StudyLight.org]

A Christian makes the unseen world visible when sound doctrine and good deeds work together, when faith prompts action, when grace received becomes grace given away. (Swindoll)

I'm glad I don't have to work for His grace, mercy, eternal life, for they are free gifts to each of us, which cost Jesus everything

LET IT GROW

Go back and read verse 3. I don't want to leave it out. It describes you and me before we were saved by grace. What were we like?
  • foolish, not sensible
  • disobedient, not subject to rulers
  • deceived and enslaved, instead of doing good deeds
  • hateful and hating, rather than peaceable, gentl, or kind.
But someone changed all of that. Someone changed us. The grace of God appeared as we continued our rebellious, selfish, pursuits.
[Resource: Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus]

If it were not for God's grace to His children, we would all be wicked, doing those deeds today. Does this humble us? It should. In fact, it help us in dealing with the unsaved, immoral, and ungodly. (MacArthur)

God's love and kindness came down to mankind in the form of a baby. We know that and celebrate it at this time of year. But do I leave Jesus a baby in the manger? (Jesus wasn't a created being, because God always has existed.) Do I forget to focus on His growing up into a man? It boggles my mind to think God was a man with skin on. He changed and wants to change me. He wants to leave the manger and live in my heart.  He was tempted as I am, yet without sin. Jesus is sitting on the right of God interceeding for me now. What a Savior to worship! He knows how I feel.


LET IT GO

Let go of the imagery of Jesus as a baby and focus on  Him as a man dying on the cross for my sins. See the cross in the manger.

Be grateful for the love, mercy, and grace of God.

Be my best for Jesus.

Be patient and pray for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment