Friday, December 16, 2011

Sheep and Shepherds

Titus 2-Part 9
These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you.
Titus 2:15 NAS
These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee. (KJV)


LET IT GLOW


I recall one time that I went to the house of my brother-in-laws' parents house. On that particular day, they were working sheep, sheering the wool and giving them shots. It was the first time I had ever been around real live sheep. At first, my impression of sheep was how pretty, small, and sweet an animal they were. However, the longer I was around them, I learned that they could run faster than I could, were strong when they butted their head, and would go their own way if not corraled.
The Lord referred to us as sheep in His fold. I have the same qualities as those sheep did. I need a shepherd to lead me, show me my rebellion and disobedience, and keep me going God's way. He provides a shepherd for each church flock or herd, whichever is correct, for that reason.
I think of the night angels came to shepherds in the field, watching over their flock by night. It was to these lowly shepherds that the Savior was revealed. They actually got to see Him. It was one time event.

Do I pray for my shepherd as he leads our congregation of sheep?
Titus was pastoring a church in Crete. Paul told Titus to not let any one despise, disregard him.What does that mean?
Dispise means to set one's self in thought beyond (exalt one's self in thought above) a person or thing, according to Thayer's Lexicon. 
Webster's Dictionary defines despise as "to look down upon."
Young's Concordance says despise, in Greek is oligoreo, means "to care litttle for."

Philippians 2:4 in New American Standard Bible states Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

Do I think myself better than others? Do I care little for someone in particular?  Do I criticize others? Am I looking out for another's best interest? Ouch! What was Jesus' way? LOVE for the sheep.


LET IT GROW

Paul explains how the pastor should convey these divine truths using three words: speak, exhort, and reprove.
1. Speak.
    Paul tells Titus to speak with all authority. God's man must be authoritative, for Jesus was (Matt. 7:29),
    but the scribes weren't.
    These three verbs identify the need for proclamaion, application, and correction by the Word of God.
     (MacArthur)
    Charles Swindoll said, "Let the lessons of grace flow through casual, authentic conversation with
    individuals as you build relationships with them. These interactions shouldn't become ad hoc sermons or
    occasions for formal instruction. simply be yourself-transparent and natural."

2. Exhort.
    "To enjoin a thing by exhorting; comforting and encouraging," that is what Thayer's Lexicon says exhort
    means.

    Paul tells Titus to dedicate himself to expository preaching. Even though it requires many hours of study,
    the message isn't built upon human  wisdom. Messages are timeless principles that emerge during study so
    the it is God's message.Study well and remain open to the Holy Spirit's leading during preparation, then
    the applications will almost write themselves. (Swindoll)

3. Reprove.
    Commit yourself to gentle, yet firm confrontation of error wherever it appears. Reproof doesn't imply
    being contentious, tactless, or heavy-handed. If you're careful to preserve the dignity of a man or woman
    in error, your correction will bypass his or her defenses. If you are gentle and humble, the reproof can be
    effective. Then, follow up soon afterward with a sincere and encouraging affirmation; who know, you may
    win a friend for life. (Swindoll)

What about my circle of influence? Am I demonstrating grace? Am I living the truth through my actions (speaking, exhorting, correcting)? Do I speak the truth? Am I encouraging to others? Do I confront a wrong done by a person with gentleness and humility?


 LET IT GO

Don't look down on others; love them instead.

Graciously convey the truth.

Share God's gift of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment