Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Remembering 2011

Summary of Titus

LET IT GLOW

This is the last week of 2011. There are so many things to remember that happened to my family this year. We experienced a lot of extreme weather in my area: the coldest winter (-15 to -25 degrees) with 3 feet of snow; we had a very wet spring, with rain, rain, and more rain causing flooding; we had a very hot and dry summer (in the 100's for almost a month without rain); we had a short fall; now winter is here again. But that's the weather. If you don't like it, stay a while and it will change, as they say in Arkansas.

I experienced a lot of joy this year, too. My daughter, sil, and 4 grandchildren visited us for a week; I got to visit with my sister, which I hadn't seen in years, and her twin girls; finally meet 2 great nephews and 1 great neice; visited with another neice and 2 girls; had a weiner roast and played in the creek with my brother and his family, and son and daughter's family; got to see  uncles, aunts, and cousins on my Dad's side of the family; meet a distant cousin with whom I share a great grandfather, and who over came cancer; had a great weekend with my husband's sibblings and kids at a state park; attended a homecoming at a former church after 15 years, visiting with ole friends.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease after 40 years of having it. I took medicine and I'm doing okay on a diet. My husband and I celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary quietly at home. Yes, I have had a wonderful year. I have a beautiful family serving the Lord; a church family that loves us; blessed with friends like you. My needs are met by the Lord. How can it get any better?
Thank You Jesus for all Your blessings this past year.
How about you friend? Will you share with us as you reflect upon events in your life this year?

BACKGROUND OF TITUS:
Titus was a Greek Gentile who was led to fatih in Christ by Paul before or duing the apostle's first missionary journey. (Gal. 2:3, Titus 1:4) He's mentioned 13 times in the NT, of which 9 are found in 2 Corinthians. This letter is classified as one of three Pastoral Epistles which Paul wrote. Probably, this letter was written after Paul wrote 1 Timothy. Paul was ministering to Macedonian churches between his first and second Roman imprisonments, from either Corinth or Nicopolis. Titus joined Paul on the isand of Crete and was left behind to continue and strengthen the work. The letter was probably delivered by Zenas and Apollos.

Charles Swindoll told us three interdependent themes found in this letter-God's redeeming grace, knowledge of truth, and righteous behavior- defining Christian maturity and character of every believer in every church.


LET IT GROW


Chapter 1 gives us character qualifications of elders, pastors, and other church leaders.
Chapter 2 exhorts the right behavior of older and younger men, older and younger women, and servants or employees. Included are some doctrinal basis for Christian behavior-grace, hope, good works.
Chapter 3 tells us some Christian behavioral standards-submission, obedience, and honesty. Also, it warns us about false teachings and divisions; geneologies, controversies and quarrels, heresy, and foolish arguements. Paul concludes with praying for God's grace to be with you all.

There are a few verses special to me:

Titus 1:2 states, In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began.

Titus 2:4-5 tells of older women, That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. 

Titus 2:11-14 says, For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, rightously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope and glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ; who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purity unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Titus 3:7 reminds us, That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:15 ends the letter, All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace be with you all.

In his book, Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus he states:
God invites the contributions of men and women who submit to His sovereignty and remain faithful to His calling. If He wants a message declared, He employs human lips. If He wants a truth written, He inspires a human mind and empowers human hands. If He wants grace to be modeled, He calls, saves, justifies, sanctifies, and transforms people to become His examples of loving mercy. The Lord allows us to become an integral part of His victory over evil so we may share in the spoils at the end of days. Then, because He gave us the gift of this opportunity, we will shout in unison, "We won!"


Philippians 3:13b says, this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Is there anything I wish to forget about this year? Yes, some not so Christian attitudes and words from my mouth. Taking too long to forgive others and not saying "I'm sorry" sooner.
David Guzik wrote, "Instead of being unfruitful, God's people must learn to maintain good works and to meet urgent needs."

I close with a quote from the book, Shepherd's Notes: Take this new lifestyle-whatever your station in life, for or because God's grace has appeared. (Titus 3:11)

Because of God's grace to me, will I surrender to Him this new year coming up? Surrender to Jesus' service my hands to do His work, my feet to go where He leads, my mouth to speak the words He wants to say to someone, my eyes to see where He's working and join Him, my ears to hear the cries for help? Will you and I daily surrender?

LET IT GO

Let go of this year as the past and look to a new year, the future.

Be more graceful or full of grace.

Share my hope of eternal life so another can have hope, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment