Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hope-An Assured Expectation

Titus 2-Part 7
Looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus.   Titus 2:13


LET IT GLOW

As we drove six hours to get to my parents' home, I looked forward to their greeting us. I most assuredly expected Mom or Dad or both to greet us at the door, which happened most times. This particular time, they both came out onto the porch to greet the four of us. It was the last time this happened with Dad. He greeted me with a big bear hug and kiss. (You need to understand that he rarely showed affection.) It is forever embedded in my memory as-what words can I use-a greeting-of-all-greetings, love over flowing expressed, an exciting time, a welcome home. (Excuse me while I blow my nose and wipe my tears away.) Little did I know that it would be the last visit I had with Dad, for two months later he passed away.

Oh, the gracious gifts that God has given. So far we have discussed grace by salvation, grace through sanctification, and today we will discuss grace in glorification. As I have written before, salvation reflects on the past, sanctification considers the present, but glorification anticipates the future.

Verse 13 reminds us that we are "looking for that blessed hope."

Hope used in the Greek means "an assured expectation."
"Paul uses this term in a specific way to describe the future day when Jesus returns to rule the world and to renovate it to His liking," stated Charles Swindoll.

Webster's Dictionary defines assured as having been made sure or certain; made secure or stable; made confident, convinced.

I found some scriptures using the word hope:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)
I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. (Ps. 130:5)
For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope. (Eccl. 9:4)
Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord. (Ps. 31:24)
(Love) Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. (1Cor.13:7)

Are my expectations of Jesus' Second coming assured? In my heart, am I certain, for sure, convinced of His return? Yes, I am. How about you?

1 Corinthians 15:19 says If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
There is so much more to come, friend. This life is not all there is. It will be a glorious appearing when Jesus returns. Am I ready?


LET IT GROW

Liberty Bible Commentary states this:
"The Greek construction here is fantastic for the construction makes the blessed hope and glorious appearing to be one and the same thing. The one true hope and expectation of the believer longs for that day (2Tim.4:8).Then the same rule of construction makes the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ to be one and the same thing as well. This is a strong statement of the deity of Christ. Jesus is God, not simply like God or godly, but He is God, for indeed, 'the Word was God' (John 1:1).

There is only one Savior. The Old Testament people expected Him. He did come as Isaiah the prophet expected. It happened in God's time. Everything was planned out. Then Mary expected Him as a baby. After nine months, He came. The Pharisees expected Him to come as a king. Their expectations were not met because He came as a servant.

What are my expectations of Jesus? Am I meeting His expectation of me?
What are we expecting this Christmas?


LET IT GO

Hold onto that blessed hope of the glorious appearing of Jesus.

Christ is my hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment