Friday, November 25, 2011

Thirty-Nine Years Ago

Summary of 2 Timothy-Part 11

White lace and promises, a kiss for luck and we were on our way. We've only just begun. (Our theme song.) After exchanging vows and making the promise of  "till death do us part," we started our life's journey in a red GTO with a tank full of gas, which was a gift, no jobs, and a pocket full of love instead of money. Our bags were packed and our hearts were filled with  high hopes for a beautiful life ahead. (Thanks for letting me reminisce.)

Today is a big day at our house. It's our 39th wedding anniversary. Now I consider that a mildstone on this country road of faith, my journey in life. Oh, it hasn't been a smooth road to travel, mind ya. Marriage never is, is it? (That's because the two are sinners living in a fallen world.)
"Life is full of challenges," I always say. "It's how we deal with them that counts."

We have had our share of crooked roads, twisting roads, bumpy roads, and road blocks. We've been stuck in ruts, stumbled over rocks, turned the wrong way, gone up and down hills and climbed mountains, and even crossed flooded streams and dry deserts. But we have kept walking together. It helps to have someone that shares both the joyful and sorrowful times.
You may ask how we have managed to stay together this long. I can answer that by using scripture which
I read today in 1 Corinthians 13:13, "Three things will last forever-faith, hope, and love-and the greatest of these is love."  That 13th chapter has much to teach us about how we are to love.
I love you honey. Thank you for sticking with me all these years. I'm privileged to be your bird.

Okay, shall we get on with the summary?


Paul wrote this second letter to Timothy five or six years after he was released from his first Roman imprisonment, somewhere around A.D. 62-64. He wrote 1 Timothy and Titus before this second epistle. Due to Nero's persecution of Christians, Paul found himself in prison again in Rome. This was probably the last thing Paul wrote in our Bible, since he was beheaded there. I think Paul had time to reminisce, too.
Remember, Ephesus was a port city under the Roman Empire. People gathered there to worship around 50 different gods. The Romans had temples and shrines there. Timothy had a lot to contend with as he pastored a church of Christ believers in the city.
Paul gave Timothy about 25 different commands, which I won't list. He touched on important doctrines, including salvation by God's sovereign grace, the person of Christ, and perseverance. We are so blessed that Paul allowed the Holy Spirit guide his words for us to read and apply in our own lives.

After finishing a book in the Bible study, I always go back and read the verses that I have highlighted. Although I won't mention them all, here are some:

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (1:7)

(God) Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began. (1:9)

...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.  (1:12b)

Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. (2:10)

If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: if we believe not, yet he abideth faithful; he cannot deny himself.  (2:12-13)

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.  (2:15)

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the turth. (2:24-25)

Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.  (3:12)

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.  (3:16)

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.  (4:2)

For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.  (4:6-8)

After 25 years of service, 3 missionary journeys over land and sea, and 20,000 miles of travels, Paul's end was near, so he wrote to his son in the faith, Timothy.
What will I do when the end of my life is near? What about you, friend? I've made preparations to enter the next life by Jesus. How about you?

(Just to let you now, I'm writing this 3 days early so my hubby and I can be free to celebrate our anniversary. I wonder how many more years we have left. Only God knows.)

No comments:

Post a Comment