Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I am Now Ready to Be...

2 Timothy 4-Part 4
For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 2 Timothy 4:6


LET IT GLOW

There he is, standing at the open door, keys to the truck in hand, waiting on me. I really do try to be ready before my husband is, but most of the time I' m not. When  I  make it to the door, I  usually recall something I need, which  I didn't get, be it grocery list, bottle of water, jacket, or whatever. I confess that this has been an on going occurance for years. How patient a husband I have.

I wonder if  Jesus is doing the same thing? Does He open a door, patiently waiting on me to go get more faith before I follow Him through it?  Is He ready for me to go and I hesitate with excuses? Are His keys of opportunity jingling and I don't hear them? Probably the answers to all the above is yes. Will I ever be ready to go, do, help, follow?

Paul said he was ready. For what was he ready? He was ready to be offered. What do you mean by that, Paul?
New American Standard Bible says it this way: For I am already being poured out as a drink-offering, and the time of my departure has come.

Offered is a word used of pouring out a drink offering, spendomai, in the Greek. Paul used it himself in Philippians 2:17, referring to pouring out himself for the Philippians. (Liberty Bible Commentary)

Charles Swindoll explains it this way in  Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1& 2 Timothy, Titus:
Common to Paul's world, a "libation" was a familiar Jewish custom in which a worshiper poured  wine across the base of an altar. The wine represented the blood of a lamb given as a sacrifice. The Hebrew poetic expression "poured out" (Ps. 22:14, Job 30:16), is one in which a person is emptied of strength to the point of death. To be "poured out" is to be drained of one's life energy.
During an earlier imprisonment, Paul wrote to the Christians in Philippi, Even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all.
(Phil. 2:17)
He felt his life draining away during his long wait for trial, and he was prepared to give his life for the Lord. Even so, he considered the sacrifice of his life worthwhile for the sake of their salvation and continued growth in grace (Phil. 1:21).

What a servant of Jesus Christ. Paul  willingly gave his life in order that others would find salvation and grow in grace.
John 15:13 says, Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Things to ponder, friend. Where does that leave us? Are we ready and willing to be...?


LET IT GROW

Paul uses the analogy of life being a journey. He speaks of his death as my departure. This Greek term analysis (untying again) paints four word pictures. Swindoll explains:

1. The idea of examination.
    Transliterated into English, analysis carries the idea of unbraiding a rope, dividing the complex unit into its
    individual strands. Paul anticipates that his death will result in his life and accomplishment being unraveled,
    laid bare for all to see.
2. The idea of release from bondage.
    The term analysis was used of unyoking a beast from its burden. Paul regards death as unyoking his life
     from the toils of responsibility. When used of humans, it pictures the breaking of shackles and leg irons.
     Death means freedom.
3. The idea of moving one's residence.
    The Greeks used the term analysis to describe striking a tent in order to relocate. In English, we say:
    "We're pullin'up stakes." Paul sees death as a relocation to a much better land.
4. The idea of voyage.
    Sailors used the word analysis in the sense of deparature. They untied their ship from its moorings in
    order to launch the vessel. Paul's death released him from his earthly moorings to make the voyage to the
    realm of his Heavenly Father.

LET IT GO

What do you and I need to let go of so we pour ourselves out as a drink offering unto the Lord?

Give whatever God wants as that sacrifice in order for others to be saved and grow in grace.

When it's time for my departure from this world, I want to unravel the rope, unyoke the burden by laying it down, pull up stakes and prepare to move, leave a legacy of faith and love for my Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment