Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Mine Own Son

Titus 1-Part 2
To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Savior.   Titus 1:4


LET IT GLOW

It makes me proud to say that I'm the daughter of my parents. Mostly, it happens at family reunions whenever I meet new relatives. That puts an identification on me, so they can figure out who I am. (The other day, my uncle intorduced me to his new wife as his brother's daughter. It made me smile.)
Sometimes I call my own son, not by his given name, but "Son". Why, I don't know. My second child is a grown male, now. (I never did call him "boy." when he was a child.)  I think it is a common thing for our culture. The other day, someone asked, "Why don't people say 'daughter' in the same way?" To that I don't have an answer. Do you?

Come to think of it, God called Jesus His " beloved Son, in whom He was well pleased," at Jesus' baptism. (Matt. 3:17) Maybe that's where it started and has continued.

In verse 4, Paul called Titus, "mine own son." In the Greek, that term has the word gnesios, which means "legimate born." Titus was another of Paul's converts. (Liberty Bible Commentary)

Now for us gals, the word "daughter" is mentioned so many times that it fills up two pages of references in  Young's Concordance. I found a verse in Luke 8:48, where Jesus felt someone touch Him and asked who it was: And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Does it really matter what we are called, just so the Lord knows and calls our name? Aren't we glad that He feels our touch? That He calls us His daughter? That it is faith that makes us whole? That He sends us peace?

YES!!!!!!!!!


LET IT GROW

What was the usual greeting Paul made in his Pastoral Epistles written to Timothy and Titus? Grace, mercy, and peace were all three included in all three letters. (Back in July, I entitled a lesson using those three words, if you want a better explanation.)

Am I thankful for God's grace, a gift I don't deserve? What about mercy, not getting what I deserve? And peace that binds me with my Heavenly Father? Do I pray for them to be given to others?

LET IT GO

Smile, we're daughters and sons of the King.

Grace, mercy, and peace to ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment