Friday, November 11, 2011

Evaluations

2 Timothy 4-Part 1
I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom.  2 Timothy 4:1


LET IT GLOW

During my 15 years as a school teacher, I  had many evaluations by my principals. They would sit in on a lesson that I was teaching, and take notes while observing me. Afterwards, they would sit down with me and go over my lesson, pointing out my good and bad techniques. They would make suggestions as to how I could improve. The main thing considered was if I taught my objective-what were my students going to do at the end. So it will be when we teachers of the word of God stand before our ultimate Judge, Jesus Christ. Did I obey his commands to me? Did I accomplish what He wanted?

Here we are reading the last chapter of Paul's second Epistle to Timothy. Paul knew his death was soon coming, so he had a few last things to say to Timothy and the church at Ephesus.
Paul gives a charge to Timothy. A charge is to testify, earnestly.

The MacArthur Bible Commentary says: "The Greek has the idea of issuing a forceful order, directive, or command. Everyone who ministers the Word of God is under the omniscient scrutiny of Christ. Christ is about to judge. He will one day appraise the works of every believer (1 Cor. 3:12-15; 4:1-5). With regard to salvation, believers have been judged already and declared righteous; they are no longer subject to the condemnation of sin (Rom. 8:1-4)."


LET IT GROW

Swindoll's New Testament Insights for 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus states that it is as if Paul said, "Timothy, you will eventually stand before this One to give account for your work. He will judge your motives, He will assess your public ministry, evaluate your private life, and sift through the secrets of your soul. Therefore, heed the counsel I am about to give."

So, whether we are a teacher or preacher of God's Word, or not,  we will still be held accountable for the things we said and did with our life.

I wonder how  my evaluation by Jesus will turn out. Considering this, I will do my work more carefully and faithfully. There is potential for gold, silver, and precious stones instead of hay, wood, and stubble. I need to keep in mind that I am serving Him and not myself.

LET IT GO

Be faithful and obedient to God's Word and Holy Spirit.

Keep in mind that I will be evaluated one day by our Judge Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment