Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Desertion

2 Timothy 4-Part 8
At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.   2 Timothy 4:16-17


LET IT GLOW

The other night I  made tea for the men in our revival team to drink.The problem was, it was weak.  I had put a little water in a bowl and heated it in the microwave, then put one family-sized tea bag in it. Well, either I didn't get the water hot enough, didn't use two family-sized bags, or didn't leave it in long enough. At any rate, when I added cool water to the pitcher, I knew it was too weak. Men like strong tea, don't they? We can be like tea-weak or strong in faith.
Poor Paul, where were his friends? Was Paul weak or strong during his trial?

After all that Paul had done for his colleagues and friends, you'd think the least they would do was come and stand in his defense. However, to support a Christian at his trial would have been a death wish. As it happened, Paul's friends in Rome either had been captured and tried, or they fled like rats from a sinking ship. (Swindoll)
In spite of it all,  Paul wasn't alone-the Lord Jesus stood with him. Hebrews 13:5-6 reminds us that He will never leave us nor forsake us. Jesus will always stand with us. He is the one we need and all we need. What was available to Paul in his trial? Strength was available and came.

"Strengthened me is how Paul put it. It's the Greek word endynamoo, which means pour in strength. It is always available. There is no need to give in or give up," states Liberty Bible Commentary.

The next night, I used two bags to make the tea. It turned out stronger and more was drank. It's been my experience that when I asked for His strength, Jesus gave it to me. Do you need strength to carry on today? Do you feel weak and deserted? Turn to Jesus, friend. He will pour it in like tea is poured from a pitcher into a glass.

LET IT GROW

Have you ever been deserted? I can recall a few times in my life. Mostly they occurred when a parent had a bone to pick with me, their child's teacher. That's when my colleagues scattered. So who deserted you? Was it a parent or a spouse? I get the feeling that Paul felt deserted by his friends at his time of need.

The word forsook means to abandon, desert, to leave in straits, leave helpless, (leave in the lurch).

Let's back up to the beginning of this verse: At my first answer, no man stood with me, but all men forsook me.

Liberty Bible Commentary explains this verse in this manner:
Answer in the Greek is apologia. We get our word  apology or defense from it. He is referring to his trial.
Stood with me in the Greek is this word paraginomai. This is a technical word and would refer to a defense lawyer or advocate.
All me forsook me The same word used of Demas in verse 10, abut he did not let it make him bitter. No matter how it hurts, no root of bitterness can be allowed lest many others ge hurt (Heb. 12:15).

Paul must have preached the gospel to Nero at his trial, just as he had done when before Felix. What does Paul says next? He was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. What lion, Paul? Was it Nero the Emperor, a symbol of Satan, or the lions to whom the convicted were thrown? Certainly he was delivered from which ever he meant.

Paul had been deserted at his trial by everyone, but did he hold a grudge? No.
"He was a man of grace, who estended grace to so many, he believed in grace enough to ask for it and to receive it gratefully when offered," said Charles Swindoll.

Time to look within. Will I show grace or hold onto grudges so they can make me bitter? Do I live with regrets or my Redeemer? Does grace cover me or does shame? Am I fearful or strong as a rod of iron in my spine because grace put it there? If I practice grace daily, will I resemble Paul in his last days? If I knew I only had one day left in which to live, how would I respond? How about you?

I think Paul continued to preach Jesus to his fellow inmates, guards, and friends. I am thankful for his writing of these prison letters-1 & 2 Timothy and Titus while he was in Rome awaiting his death for Christ. Did you catch it-Paul prayed asking God to not charge anyone guilty of his death. So did Stephen and Jesus. Could I do the same? Can I love my enemies to this extent?


LET IT GO

When forsaken, turn to Jesus.

Ask Jesus for strength to carry on through my trials.

Trust my Deliver's timing and method.

Remember that Jesus never leaves me nor forsakes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment