Monday, December 24, 2018

Plugging In Our Light

O. T. #1350  "Plugging In Our Light"
Dec. 24, 2018
Psalm 118-Part 6
God is the LORD, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.  Psalm 118:27

LET IT GLOW

Do you enjoy seeing the Christmas lights during the dark days and nights of winter? Many houses in my hometown and surrounding communities light up their world. We have a lot of cloudy, overcast days in this month. (No snow, though) And that leads to some weary and drab days, not just weather wise, but in our life. So I go over to our small five foot tree in the corner of our house and plug in the tiny strand of lights. The gold glittery angel blowing her trumpet on top sparkles in the light surrounding her. I smile. Although it has been a downer of a week with my nephew's wife passing away, I am reminded that she is having a great day worshiping The Light of the World-our Savior Jesus Christ. I smile. Perhaps she has met my parents and sister in law by now (a week). I smile. What a joyous time they are having up there in heaven! They have a marvelous new Christmas this year. I smile again.

I read our key verse once more.
God is the LORD, And He has given us light. (The Jeremiah Study Bible)

Our hearts are convinced that God is the LORD, I dare say. Otherwise, I don't thing you would be so faithful in reading His Word and studying it with us. With that established, let's take a closer look at the rest of that verse. What has God given us? Light. Well, yes we read about it in Genesis when God created the sun, moon, stars, and day and night. But there is more to this word "light."

In the Hebrew language, in which the Old Testament was written originally, the word for light is ore, which means illumination or luminary (in every sense, including lightning, happiness); bright; clear day; morning.

God has shown us the Light of the World-Jesus. He has delivered us from the powers of darkness and has translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son. (Falwell)

Jesus said in John 9:5, As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

I find it interesting in that this word light means worship; to prostrate oneself (in homage); fall down.

I conclude that Jesus told us that He is the One we are to worship. Is He our light?

He has given us the knowledge of Himself and His will. He has favored us, and lifted up upon us the light of His countenance: He has given us occasion for joy and rejoicing, which is light to the soul, by giving us a prospect of everlasting light in heaven. (Matthew Henry)

Ye are the light of the world. Jesus told His disciples in Matthew 5:14.

Are we going to let our Light (Jesus) shine in our life to a dark world? Friends, we need to plug into the Savior, spiritually speaking, as I plugged in the lights on the tree.

Another thing, Friday night there was a full moon shining so brightly that I did not need a flashlight to see. I went outside 3 times to look for meteors, but found nothing but twinkling stars and a beautiful moon. The last time, I burst out in a worship song, How Great Thou Art. When we look up, we see the magnificence of God. 

LET IT GROW


Look at the latter part of our key verse. Either this was a law or a custom, but it is not written elsewhere in Scriptures.
Falwell explains: The Jews bound the sacrificial animal at the horns as they prepared to slay it. More than the blood of bulls and goats, the blood of Christ, the Light of World, shall purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God. (Heb. 9:13-14)

Our sacrifice to God is to be a living sacrifice (Rom. 12:1). Our body is to be bound (figuratively), and offered to God. Our life and heart is to be a sacrifice of thanksgiving, praise, and worship.
Jesus gave His all, so why shouldn't we, also?

LET IT GO

Look up, see the lights, then open my heart so the Light can shine in me.
Jesus, thank You for humbling Yourself to come to earth as a tiny baby, then living the perfect life so I could have a Savior to take my place as a sacrifice and so I do not have to pay for my sins.
You are so wonderful to me!
Please shine Your light upon my friends here and their families this Christmas season.
The Light of the World is Jesus!

*Merry Christmas dear ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment