Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Distress and Fear

O. T. #1346 "Distress and Fear"
Dec. 18, 2018
Psalm 118
I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place.
Psalm 118:5

LET IT GLOW

Are you in distress, my friend? Is there a trouble or tribulation that seems to never leave? Are you in a tight place? What can you do? How can you endure? We find the answer in our key verse.

What was going on with this writer of this chapter? Falwell suggests that he and his nation were in a narrow gorge, a straight place.
The word distress in Hebrew, means a tight place; tribulation; trouble.

What did this psalmist do?
  • He called upon the LORD.
  • His prayer was heard, for God answered him.
What did God do? God set him in a large place, in an open plain, and set him free.

So since the man was in a tight place, with hostile nations surrounding him, swarming like bees and blazing like a crackling fire, and did their best to kill him, the Lord rescued him. He gave victory to Israel and will give victory to us.

LET IT GROW


The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? (verse 6)

If God is for us, who can be against us? Paul wrote in Romans 8:31.
The psalmist had no reason to fear the destructive designs of man. Neither do we children of God.
He does not give us a spirit of fear, but of love, hope, and a sound mind.

His enemies did their best to kill him, but the Lord rescued him.
Stand strong in the LORD. Trust Him, even in times of distress, no, while in times of distress.
He will work it out for our good and His glory, ya'll.
Man can't do anything that has not first gone through God's hands. His will shall not be thwarted.
People can't take our soul. They can't separate us from God's love. He is on our side, so why fear?
(Hey, I am talking to me.)
In my times of need, I go back through the Psalms and find reassurance in highlighted verses.

LET IT GO


Call on the Lord when I am distressed.
Don't fear people.
Trust Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment