Thursday, December 13, 2018

The Star

O. T. #1343  "The Star"
Dec. 13, 2018
Psalm 116-Part 2
...There shall come a Star out of Jacob... Numbers 24:17

LET IT GLOW

God shows us His love in so many ways. Oh, He doesn't force people to love Him. How can we but love Him in return after He has done so much for us? In our silent night, we can look up at the stars and marvel that God spoke them into being and wants to speak to us, peace over us. He wants to guide us like the star guided the Wise Men. He woos us to Him with a love freely given.

Did you know that Jesus is called a "Star out of Jacob", found in  Numbers 24:17 ? In the Hebrew language, Star can mean a blazing star or a prince. (I don't recall ever reading nor hear that verse during the Christmas season.)

The star that will come from Jacob is often thought to refer to the Messiah. It was probably this prophecy that the wise men to travel to Israel to search for the baby(Matt. 2:1-2). Life Application Study Bible

In Revelation 22:16, Jesus calls Himself The Root and Offspring of David and The Bright and Morning Star. So, was Jesus the guiding Star which the Wise Men followed to Bethlehem? (I know, He was in the form and body of a toddler at that time, but anything is possible with God.)

If He is only speaking figuratively, then is Jesus our Bright and Morning Star? Is He the Star out of Jacob who wants and is ready to guide us on the right path? Are we reaching up to our Star?


LET IT GROW

I don't know why I shared that, other than I found it and used it in my girls class last night at church.

As we read this chapter, did you notice several "I will's" David says in commitment?
  • I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living. (verse 9)
  • I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. (verse 13)
  • I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all His people. (verse 14)
  • I will offer Thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD. (verse 17)
  • I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all His people, in the courts of the LORD's house, in the midst of Thee, O Jerusalem. (verses 18-19)

How are we walking, by faith and in the joyful land of the living? Have we taken from the cup of salvation? Are we calling upon Jesus? Do we pay our vows which we made to the Lord? Are we thanking God for all that He has giving and does for us? I fall short.

So let us look up, our Redemption draweth nigh.

LET IT GO


Keep my vows made unto the LORD God.
Praise and thank Him today.
Look for the Star out of Jacob to follow on this country road of faith. Lead me on Your path.

No comments:

Post a Comment