Monday, April 9, 2018

When in Need

O. T. #1185  "When in Need"
April 9, 2018
Psalms 18
I will love Thee, O Lord, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust: my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. Psalms 18:1-3

LET IT GLOW

In David's song of praise and thanksgiving, he reflects on the goodness of his God. He spoke these words, which are found in 2 Samuel 22, after God had delivered him from his enemies and Saul.  How does he describe his God?
*The Hebrew word is in the parenthesis, along with its pronunciation.

God is David's:
  • strength (chezeq, pronounced khay'zeh), which refers to help;
  • rock (cela, seh'lah) means to be lofty; a craggy (rough and ragged) rock or fortress; a stone, a stronghold;
  • fortress (metsudah, mets-oo-daw') is a castle, defence, fort, strong place;
  • deliverer (palat, paw-lat') means to slip out; escape; carry away safe;
  • my God-the personal divine being who holds our future; 
  • buckler (meginnah, meg-in-naw') refers to a shield, a protector;
  • horn of salvation-horn (qeren, keh'ren), which is a cornet;
  • high tower (misgab, mis-gawb') is a cliff; a lofty or inaccessible place; refuge. 
Did you pick up on a common thread going through these descriptive words? Help, stronghold, strong place, safety, future, protector, salvation, refuge. David's faith is seen here as he depended upon God for his very life as he ran for his very life.

God starts out being our rock beneath our feet when we are slipping and falling in our life. Then He ends up being our high tower above our heads. So when we trust in Jesus, He equips us with His provisions from head to toe. Can't get any better than that.

Do we run to God for our protection, our safe place, help when we are in need? When we do, then we will find Him being our strength and rock.

LET IT GROW

Read verse 3.
Do we call upon the Lord? Do we wait to call upon Him whenever we are in trouble, need?
Do we give Him praise because He is worthy?
Are we trusting God to keep us safe from our enemy, Satan?

LET IT GO

Jesus, You are my rock, so I shall not be moved, though my enemies persecute me.

No comments:

Post a Comment