Thursday, May 11, 2017

Power and Pride

O. T. #979  "Power and Pride"
May 11, 2017
2 Chronicles 26-Part 2


LET IT GLOW

Uzziah achieved so much good in Judah as king. He built towers, cisterns, and forts; won wars against the Philistines, Arabs, and Meunites with God's help; had great herds of livestock and had workers on farms and vineyards; although he had a small army, he developed new weapons, including the catapult. Uzziah's fame spread far and wide as the Lord gave him marvelous help, thus he became very powerful. Wouldn't we like to have known this king?

Is it too good to be true? The skeptic part of me tends to think that. Well, this great king was not always good. He sinned, just as we sin. Often it is the same sin he committed against the Lord that we commit. Along with the power came the pride, which led to Uzziah's downfall. Everything was going for him, then the king developed a prideful attitude due to his success. Did his strength cause Uzziah to grow arrogant? So how do we see this manifested?

Are we giving God the credit for all we have and do? Do we continually need Him?

Here's an example of how pride in my life led me to realize my need for God's help. I like to consider myself an organized person and get things done ahead of schedule. So this was a prideful attitude. Just yesterday I hunted and hunted around the house for a list of menus for VBS. (Didn't put it on the computer yet.) It was important to me because I am meeting tonight with the one in charge of the meals. I wanted a variety of choices for her to have to choose from so she could decide on the meals. I tell you that I spent hours looking with no success, asking for God's help. Finally, I had a breakdown and cried. I gave up on the hunt. It had taken me hours on Pinterest and other sources collecting those cute ideas. Now I had to start over. Do you see my dilemma? I, I, I... Friends, it was when all my sources and strength was exhausted that God met my need. The list was in such an unlikely place, in a notebook where my WMU notes were kept. How did they get there? I cried again, but this time with joy and thanksgiving to God for His help. I sure didn't do it on my own.
Had any prideful situations in which it brought you down?


LET IT GROW

What did King Uzziah do to cause his downfall into sin?
He entered the sanctuary of the Lord's Temple and personally burnt incense on the incense altar. Then Azariah the high priest, along with 80 other priests of the Lord, bravely confronted their king.
In verse 18, he told the king, It is not or you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the LORD. That is the work of the priests alone, the descendants of Aaron, who are set apart for this work. Get out of the sanctuary, for you have sinned. The LORD God will not honor you for this!

Uzziah was furious and in a rage of anger as he spoke to the priests, while holding the incense burner. Immediately leprosy broke out on the king's forehead. His anger continued as the priests ushered him out of the Temple. King Uzziah had leprosy until the day he died. He lived in  isolation in a separate house and was excluded from the Temple. His son Jotham took his throne as king of Judah.

Proverbs 16:18 tells us that "pride goes before destruction."

God requires a lifelong obedience. Only "the one who endures to the end" will receive a reward. (Mark 13:13)

How faithful are we?


LET IT GO

                    ...of pride, self-sufficiency.
                              ... and let God reign in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment