May 3, 2017
2 Chronicles 24
LET IT GLOW
Do we get stuck in a rut, give and obey, out of obligation or duty? Guilty. Sometimes I just go through the motions instead of letting love lead me. Shouldn't we ask God to fill us with His love and Holy Spirit before we do that service? Today, we read of a king and people who were at this point.
Young King Joash was anointed as king over Judah when he was 7 years old, and reigned 40 years. Jehoiada, the priest, served as his legal guardian and parent. He was actually the one who made the decisions until Joash became of age.
Josh's mother is mentioned in verse 1-Zibiah of Beer-sheba. she must have been a good mother, for she did not insist on his being at home. She was apparently agreeable with his serving God in this way. This reminded me of Hannah, Samuel's mother, who took her son to the Priest Eli for his life to be used in God's service. The Lord used Samuel greatly for kingdom work.
Verse 2 says, And Joash did that which was right in the sight of the LORD all the days of Jehoiada. the priest.
Jehoiada helped secure a long, peaceful reign of Joash through his significant influence on the king.(David Jeremiah)
Are we doing what is right in the sight of the Lord Jesus? Upon what do we base our decisions? Do we advise others to do what is right?
LET IT GROW
Revival came in Judah during Joash's reign and the lifetime of the priest Jehoaiada. At one point, Joash decided to repair and restore the Temple of God.
How did this happen?
- He summoned the priests and Levites, instructing them to collect the annual offerings throughout the towns of Judah so they could repair the Temple.
- The king told them to not delay, but they did not act immediately.
- When Joash realized this was not being done, he questioned the high priest as to why.
- God through Moses had commanded the Israelites, while in the wilderness, to give an atonement offering to be used for the up keep of the .everything in the Tabernacle. (Exodus 30)
- Joash's grandmother had broken into the Temple and taken the articles used in worship into the temple of Baal.
- The king made the order and the Levites set chest outside the gate leading to the Temple.
- All the leaders and people gladly brought their money and filled the chest with it.
- Day after day large amounts were collected so the Levites carried it to the king's officials, who emptied it, and returned the chest.
- Construction supervisors hired masons and carpenters and metalworkers with the money.
- The Temple of God was restored to its original design and strengthened it. The rest of the money was used for the articles in offerings and worship.
- Jehoiada lived to be very old, and died at age 130.
- Is our obedience to God's commands slow in our response? It may be a little better than disobedience. We should obey God willingly in His timing, immediately.
- Be glad and generous to give to projects in which God is leading.
- Don't underestimate people's desire to be faithful to God.
LET IT GO
Remain faithful, obedient, and willing to do as God directs.
Do what is right in the sight of the Lord God.
Let love lead.
Serve out of a loving heart, not obligation.