April 22, 2016
2 Samuel 22-Part 2
LET IT GLOW
David sang this song to the LORD on the day that He rescued David from all his enemies and from Saul. Besides David declaring the Lord was his Rock, in verses 2-3, God is his:
- fortress, which refers to a castle, to defend, a fort, a strong hold, a strong place. Are we distressed? Let us find our safe place in God.
- deliverer, which means to slip out, carry away safe, cause to escape. God delivered David from Goliath, Saul, backsliding, Israel's enemies, Absalom, and his own sinful passions.
- shield, referring to a protector, buckler, defense, armed. Are we being shot at, struck down?
- the horn of salvation; In Luke 1:69, after months of silence, Zechariah named his son John, and prophesied of a coming Savior who would redeem His people.
- high tower; God placed David out of the reach of his enemies. Are we being pursued?
- refuge, which is retreat, a fleeing, a way to flee, escape. When we are tempted, God will provide a way of escape, if we only turn to Him. Are we oppressed? God seeks to rescue us out of the hand of those that seek our ruin.
- saviour (yasha') means to be open, wide, or free; to be safe; get victory. Jesus saves us and sets us free from the power of our sins and their eternal effects.
- stay is a protector or sustenance. (verse 19) Are we sinking? God wants to be our support.
- lamp refers to a light, candle. (verse 29) God wants to show us the way.
LET IT GROW
In verse 4, David says God is worthy of praise.
The LORD lives! Praise to my Rock! May God, the Rock of my salvation, be exalted! (verse 47)
How does God react?
- God heard David's cry for help from His sanctuary and it reached His ears. (verse 7)
- God showed His anger in an earthquake, smoke, flames, glowing coals, from the heavens, in brightness, thunder lightning lashes because of David's enemies. (verses 8-16)
- God delivered David because He delighted in him. (verse 20)
- He rescues the humble. (verse 28)
- God gives David strength to crush an army and to scale any wall. (verse 30)
- God is faithful, has integrity, is pure. (verses 26-27)
- His ways are perfect. (verse 31)
Realize that I have to let go and let God handle things and people.
Praise God, love God, exalt my God!