Friday, December 10, 2010

Washed

1 Corinthians 6
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.  1 Corinthians 6:11


LET IT GLOW

I can think of several things that I have "washed" lately-dirty dishes in the dishwasher, a gross shower curtain in the washing machine, a greasy stove. I can't say that I enjoyed washing them, but one thing I did enjoy washing and that was me. Actually, I had gone to the mall and stopped in a store which had sweet smelling bath perfumes. Girls, I fell in love with the newest scent and had to buy the whole set-body wash, perfume, and lotion. You guessed it. That shower was a long one, an enjoyable one, a relaxing one, with my new scent.  I was squeeky clean, but sweet smelling, too. I don't think that was what Paul was referring in the key verse. He was talking spiritually, not physically.

In David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible, he explains:
You were washed...sanctified...justified: God's great work for us in Jesus Christ is described in three terms.

1. You were washed: We are washed clean from sin by the mercy of God (Titus 3:5). We can have our sins
                                  washed way by calling on the name of the Lord (Acts 22:16). We are washed by the
                                  work of Jesus on the cross for us (Rev.1:5) and by the  Word of God (Eph.5:26).
2. You are sanctified: We are set apart, away from the world and unto God, by the work of Jesus on the
                                  cross (Heb.10:10), by God's Word (John 17:19), by faith in Jesus (Acts 26:18), and
                                  by the Holy Spirit (Rom.15:16).
3. You are justified: We are declared "just" before the court of God; not merely "not guilty," but decalred to
                               be "just" before Him. We are justified by God's grace through the work of Jesus on the
                               cross (Rom 3:24), by faith and not by our own deeds (Rom 3:28).

God can take the kind of people described in verses 9-10 and make them into the kind of people described in verse 11! How great is the work of God in the life of the believer.

Thank the Lord that I'm washed in the blood of the Lamb!


LET IT GROW

Verses 19-20 say: "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

David Guzik tells us:
"This is a principle and a command for sexual purity among Christians: glorify God in your body.
Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. A temple is a place sacred to God, and pure from immorality.
Our bodies belong to God, and not to ourselves. They are His purchased possession. We don't have the right to pollute and abuse God's property. We have no right to be idle with, or wasteful of, what belongs to Him. Our bodies should be put to use glorifying God!
Because our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, we have God Himself living within us. This means we have a strength, a power, living within us to give us power over the sins of the flesh. We should expect sexual purity from Christians more than from those who are not, because they do not have God living within them as we do. "

Roman 12:1 says,"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

Paul tells us in Philippians 4:8 what we should think on-things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, and of good report. I am daily having to retrain myself. The flesh wants to rule instead of my spirit.


LET IT GO

Act like I'm washed, sanctified, and justified, then I will glorify God in my body.

Lord, help me rule my body, not the lusts of my flesh ruling me.

Make my life, a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto You.

No comments:

Post a Comment