Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Recognized

1 Corinthians 8
But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.  1 Corinthians 8:3 NLT


LET IT GLOW

After living away from my hometown 17 years, we moved back to it. That was 13 years ago. There have been times that I would recognize a familiar face at a ballgame or in a local store, but recall that person's name. My how everyone changes throughout the years. I'm delighted that God recognizes me. Even when my times of communicating with Him were far and few between, He was faithful. He doesn't forget me.

"The true knowledge of God does not come about through the acquisition of cognitive data concerning Him. It comes through loving Him," Jerry Falwell said in Liberty Bible Commentary.

Oh, how I love Jesus.


LET IT GROW

Verses 12-13 say,"But when ye sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend."

Paul addresses the topic of eating meat offered to idols as a sacrifice. Some of the Corinthian belivers thought it was all right, while some thought it was sinful. Remember there was a lot of false idol worship in Corinth.

"If you, being a 'stronger brother' should entice another brother to sin, then in effect, ye sin against Christ. This truth is derived from two facts. First, the most immediate, the stronger brother has enticed a weaker brother to sin against the Savior who died for him. Secondly, Jesus said in Mattherw 25:40, 'inasmuch as ye have dome it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.'
The conclusion of the matter is love. In order to avoid offending a brother, Paul would permanently exclude the eating of meat from his diet."
"The decision to follow the path of love rests with Paul, not with the weak. The strong are to yield to love's appeal voluntarily, not because the weak demand it, leagalists always demand subjection to their laws,"
from Wycliffe Bible Commentary.

So whether it concerns eating, drinking, clothing, words, or actions, I need to watch out that I don't cause a weaker believer to stumble and fall into sin because of me. Because of love I will abstain from such things.

LET IT GO

Remember that God loves me and recognizes me.

Love my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Don't use my freedom that may cause them to stumble into sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment