Thursday, December 16, 2010

Temptations

1 Corinthians 10
Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
1 Corinthians 10:12-13


LET IT GLOW


Especially around Christmas time, I hear a lot of ladies talking about the temptation of chocolate. Personally, it does not tempt me to eat it. That's because I don't like chocolate. Yes, you read it correctly. Because I don't like chocolate, it does not tempt me. I know, my husband has already told me how "weird" I am. It's not that I didn't have chocolate available whenever a child, because I did. Mom baked those yucky chocolate cakes and made homemade fudge. Oh, I can take it or leave it, mostly leave it. (Of course that leaves more for hubby, except now our granddaughter likes it, too.)

 I now do a psychological thing on myself-to satisfy my sweet tooth's, I just  take a bite of a piece of chocolate candy, shake my head in disgust, and that ends that sweet desire. (By the way, my children were grown before they experienced chocolate pudding and pie. One of my children does not like it either. Can you guess which one? Nope, it's our son. His birthday cakes were always strawberry. Funny, huh?)

Lest you get me wrong, other foods tempt me-pies, cobblers, ice cream, Dr. Pepper, butterscotch and peanut butter fudge, mmm, sweet stuff. So I battle with the temptation of foods just like you do. (See, I am normal.) Other things, not just food, tempt me though, which at times lead to my yielding and sinning. Can Paul can help us out in that department? Yes.

Paul tells us that temptaion is a common thing; we all experience it. We all face similar problems, trials, tests. It helps to know we're all in the same boat. The good news is that God is faithful. He won't allow us to be tempted "above" what we can stand. Since He made us, God knows exactly what we can take.

Jerry Falwell said in Liberty Bible Commentary,
"If God did not know that you could take it, He would not have allowed you to suffer it.  In fact, He will provide a way of escape for us. In the Greek, it is a nautical term. The idea is not that He will enable us to escape temptation, but that He will enable us to land safely on the other side victoriously. Often the only escape is to endure." So when the lucious piece of cake, a cookie, pride, grumbling, gosip, is tempting me to partake, I don't have to indulge. I can leave it alone, with God's help.
Paul says in verse 6," These things happened as a warning to us, so that we would not crave evil things as they did, or worship idols as some of them did." NLT
He was talking about the Israelites as they wandered in the wilderness, warning us. Stay away from those things that tempt me to fall into sin.
I'm looking forward to reading Lysa TerKurst's new book, Made to Crave, which comes out in January.

LET IT GROW

James 1:12 (Living Bible) states," Happy is the man who doesn't give in and do wrong when he is tempted, for afterwards he will get as his reward the crown of life that God has promised those who love him."

The bottom line is, "How do I resist temptation?" I found some help; read on sister.

Rick Warren, in his book, The Purpose Driven Life, said:
Every temptation is an opportunity to do good. On the path to spiritual maturity, even temptation becomes a stepping-stone rather than a stumbling block when you realize that it is just as much an occasion to do the right thing as it is to do the wrong thing. Temptation simply provides the choice. While temptation is Satan's primary weapon to destroy you, God wants to use it to develop you. Every time you choose to do good instead of sin, you are growing in the character of Christ. God develops the fruit of the Spirit in your life by allowing you to experience circumstances in which you're tempted to express the exact opposite quality!
Galatians 5:22-23)
How does temptation work?
1. Satan identifies a desire inside of you. Temptation always starts in your mind, not in circumstances.
    (see Mark 7:21-23, James 4:1)
2. Satan tries to get you to doubt what God has said about sin. (see Hebrews 3:12)
3. Step three is deception. Satan is incapable of telling the truth and is called the "father of lies." (John 8:44)
    "It's only a little sin." But a little sin, like being a little pregnant: It will eventually show itself.
4. Step four is disobedience. You finally act on the thought you've been toying with in your mind. 
    (see James 1:14-16)

Understanding how temptation works is in itself helpful, but there are specific steps you need to take to overcome it:
1. Refuse to be intimidated. It is not a sin to be tempted. Temptation only becomes a sin when you give in
    to it. Martin Luther said, "You cannot keep birds from flying over your head but you can keep them from
    building a nest in your hair." Lust is a choice to commit in your mind what you'd like to do with your body.
    The moment you became God's child, Satan, like a mobster hit man, put out a "contract" on you. You are
    his enemy, and he's plotting your downfall.

2. Recognize your pattern of temptation and be prepared for it. There are certain situations that make
    you more vulnerable to temptation than others. These situations are unique to your weaknesses, and you
    need to identify them because Satan surely knows them! He knows exactly what trips you up, and he is
    constantly working to get you into those circumstances.  Ask yourself, "When am I most tempted?"
    "Where am I most tempted?" " Who is with me?"

3. Request God's help.  Heaven has a twenty-four hour emergency hot line. God wants you to ask him for
    assistance in overcoming temptation. He says,"Call on me in times of trouble. I will rescue you, and you
    will honor me." Ps. 50:15
    I call this a "microwave" prayer because it is quick and to the point: Help! SOS! Mayday! When
    temptation strikes, you don't have to have a long conversation with God, you simply cry out. Ask Him
    for the power to do the right thing and then expect Him to provide it. Instead of giving in or giving up, look
    up to God, expect Him to help you.

Sounds advice I can take to the bank, so to speak. I don't have to yield to the temptations. God provides a way of escape.

LET IT GO

Identify those things which tempt me to fall into sin. Turn from them.

Prepare for temptation with prayer and Scriptures. Ask God for help.

Repent when I fail and sin; honor God when I resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment