Friday, December 24, 2010

Because of Love

1 Corinthians 16
Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14 NAS

LET IT GLOW

What a blessing you are to me! I want to take this time and say thank you to ya'll who have been walking with me on this country road of faith as we read through the New Testament. You have certainly encouraged me with your comments and faithful reading. I am growing in faith as I dig deeper into God's Word. I hope you are too.

Like Paul, I want  "the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you" and "my love be with you all in Christ Jesus." (verses 23-24)

Paul cared deeply about the people in the churches he established,  to whom he wrote his letters, 13 as I recall. He wanted to encourage and teach them in their Christian walk by faith. On the next posting, we will review and summarize the first letter to the Corinthian church.


LET IT GROW

Verses 13 and 14 jumped out at me as I read the final chapter in this book. Paul is still instructing and encouraging, even at the end of his letter.

The Shepherd's Notes says this:

1. "Be on your guard, watch ye"
    It means to "stay awake, be alert."  We might ask, "For what?"
    First, we should be watching for the Lord's return, then for the enemy's working (1Peter 5:8)
    and destructive influences (Acts 20:29-31).

2. "Stand firm in the faith"
    Believers were to stand firm in Christ as opposed to falling.
   
3. "Be men of courage; be strong"
    Psalm 31:24 says,"Be strong (of good courage) and take heart (and He will strengthen your heart), all you
    who hope in the Lord." (KJV )
    It means to conduct oneself in a courageous way.

4. "Do everything in love"
    Echoing his theme of chapter 13, Paul's exhortation to the Corinthians focuses on their relationships.
    "Everything" would include all Paul had discussed in his letter.

Falwell tells us in Liberty Bible Commentary:
Don't be unsettled in your mind. Don't be afraid to be firm in your convictions. Be courageous. Be strong. Characteristic of Paul, he sees the Christian life as though he were in the arena. Faith, conviction, and courage are the essential ingredients for success and victory.  So that his readers do not understand his words to legitimize a careless and uncaring attitude, Paul moderates his advice with "Let all your things be done with charity."

May I add some thoughts: Always be watching because temptation is behind the door, ready to stick out a foot, causing us to stumble and fall into sin. Stay strong in our faith in our Lord Jesus, praying, reading His Word and obeying it faithfully daily.
Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 12: 13, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man."
Jesus tells us what the greatest commandments are in Matthew 22:37-39, "Love God and love our neighbor."

You know what? I just had a thought come to me-If we did all things with love as the motive behind it, how much conflict would be spared? Ouch.
Jesus came because He loved us and wanted to be the sacrifice for our sins so we would not have to pay for them ourselves. What love!
Because I love, people I will...
Because I love, Jesus I will...


LET IT GO

Share grace and love during this season of Christmas.

Be watchful, standing firm in faith, courageous in sharing the gospel, and do everthing in love.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas tomorrow and keep Christ as the reason for the season.
Love to you and your family.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment