Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Scum

1 Corinthians 4
Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.    1 Corinthians 4:13


LET IT GLOW

Soap scum, mildew, and yucky stuff seems to accummulate quickly in my shower. You know what I'm talking about, don't ya? Perhaps the reason for this is because we don't have a vent to remove the humidity from the bathroom. Anyway, I have to attack it once a month so nothing grows and carries me off. Scrubbing while on my hands and knees to remove all that scum built up isn't my idea of spending a fun morning. Although, after it's loosened, water washes it away. Then everything shines and is so squeaky clean that I can see myself in the fixtures. (Well, maybe not, but it sure does shine.)
I realize that's the way I need to come to Jesus-on my hands and knees, begging for forgiveness when I venture off into sin, resulting in scum in my life. Then He washes me clean again and I can shine for Him.

The New Living Translation uses the phrases " world's garbage" and "everybody's trash" in verse 13.
Mathew Henry says,"In the first age, Christians were considered dirt of the world that was to be swept away."

Psalm 118:29 says, "O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever."

1 John 1:9 states,"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

I sure don't like scum, either kind. Thank the Lord He removes it.


LET IT GROW

"Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful," says verses 1-2.

Shepherd's Notes Commentaries Series-I Corinthians says:
  • A steward was the "manager of a household, which often was a trusted slave put in charge of the whole household. The word emphasizes that one is entrusted with great responsibility and acountability." [A quote by Fritz Rienecker, Linguistic Key to the Greek New Testament]
  • Paul referred to leaders who are stewards and what has been entrusted, or what they are to administer.
  • The "secret things of God" granted to leaders are things that human wisdom cannot discover but can only be revealed by God.
Falwell said in Liberty Bible Commentary:
Stewards, in general, were slaves in the master's household who is entrusted with property. It stresses accouontability. He must render account for the manner in which he carries out his master's orders. It is sought for all stewards, that each one be found reliable and trustworthy.

As a steward, I want to be faithful with what responsibility God has given to me.

Verse 20 says,"For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power."

Is Paul saying that God's kingdom is not just "God talk", words, but it is the power of the Holy Spirit?
There's a difference in the Bible being "just another book" and a book inspired by His Holy Spirit.


LET IT GO

Get the scum out of my life through confession to God.

Be a faithful steward of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment