Monday, December 6, 2010

Trips

1Corinthians 2
That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 1Cor.2:5


LET IT GLOW

The other day I was getting ready for a trip to Alabama, doing the laundry, gathering things together, when I tripped over my suitcase and fell flat on the floor. The floor was cement, not carpeted, so I have bruises as evidence of my trip. That was not the trip I had on my mind that day, but it happened. I would lots rather stand than trip or fall. What about spiritually speaking?  Standing is definitely better than falling or tripping over temptations.

Paul says that my faith should not be based on the wisdom of man or the natural person. My faith  should stand in the power of God. How? By reading His Word and submitting to His Holy Spirit. Then I won't trip over temptations and fall into sin.
Also, if "Christ crucified" is what my Christian faith stands upon, then I won't fall for other doctrines or religious heresy.

LET IT GROW

In verse 9 Paul paraphrases Isaiah 64:4 saying,"Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him."
(Instead of the word love, that scripture actually reads wait. )

There's a special blessing connected with waiting for the Lord. Men would rather work than wait. They also love legalism more than the holiness of waiting. (Bultema)


If spiritual things were detected by the senses, there would be no need for revelation. (Mathew Henry)

While it is true that we cannot comprehend the greatness of heaven, that isn't what Paul means, but the glorious thing is the gospel. (David Guzik)

Verse 9 says,"God hath revealed them unto us by His Spirit."

Paul quotes Isaiah 40:13 in verse 16, "For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that He may instruct him? "
His answer is, "But we have the mind of Christ."

David Guzik said,"God needs no counsel, no instruction, no teacher, and no one to show Him the way of understanding."

Paul says in verse 7,"But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which
God ordained before the world unto our glory."

King James Dictionary defines wisdom as the right use or exercise of knowledge; discerning or judging what's most just, proper, and useful.

In this chapter we find the wisdom of God is:
  • a mystery, hidden (verse 7)
  • revealed by His Spirit (verse 9)
  • the deep things of God (verse 10)
  • freely given to us of God (verse 12)
  • not received nor known by the natural man (verse 14)
James 1:5 tells us how to get wisdom: "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." (KJV)
NLT says: "If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking."

So I can have the wisdom of God if I ask Him for it. It is His Spirit revealing things to my spirit. I already have the revelation of Jesus Christ as my Savior.

LET IT GO

Have standing faith in God's power.

Ask for wisdom from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment