Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fragrances

2 Corinthians 2
Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance(savour-KJV) of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance (sweet savour-KJV) of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.
2Corinthians 2:14-15 NKJV


LET IT GLOW

As a woman, I enjoy a variety of fragrances-flowers, perfumes, freshly baked goods, clean sheets, fresh air after a rain, and burning scented candles.
I've been accused of having the "nose of a bloodhound," which means my snout is sensitive to scents. I admit the size of it has its benefits. You see, I inherited both of my parents' noses-Dad's beak and Mom's  snout. I didn't have a chance, did I? Well, this is the way God made me, so that's that. (I try to take pictures head-on, not from the side view.)
Of course, there are benefits to having that kind of ability and there are disadvantages, too. I notice men's colognes, women's perfumes, babies' odors or lotions, Little Debbie plant baking goodies, smoke, candles burning, wet dogs, hay, cow pies, etc. How about you? Do you take the time to notice the scents around you?

Blackaby, in his devotional book, Experiencing God Day-By-Day said:
Whenever the Romans won a major military victory they would celebrate with a spectacular parade. The commanding general would lead the procession in a magnificent chariot, followed by his soldiers, musicians, and other officials. Then, soldiers would lead the defeated enemies through the city in bondage. As a part of the celebration, the Romans would burn fragrances on altars, filling the entire city with a pleasant aroma. The special fragrance came to symbolize victory to anyone who smelled it.

Paul used this vivid imagery to describe the effect that Christians should have in the world. God permeates our lives with the fragrance of the knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, our lives should demonstrate to others that Christ gives us victory over our sin. Your life ought to be convincing proof that God continues to work powerfully in the lives of His people.


"Aaron and the priests were anointed with oil poured over their heads; it ran down their beards and robes, so they were all over a perfume, a sweet smell and savour," said John Wesley.

Burnt offerings, during the Old Testament times,  were a sweet aroma to God.
"We are God's pleasing aroma-our heart, our attitudes, not meat, grain, or oil," said Morgen, a lady in my Bible study group.

Is my life a sweet scent, fragrance,  to God? Or is it stinky with sin, a smelly odor?


LET IT GROW

Verses 10b-11 (NLT) say, "And when I forgive whatever needs to be forgiven, I do so with Christ's authority for your benefit, so that Satan will not outsmart us. For we are familiar with his evil schemes.
The  KJV uses the phrase "lest Satan should get an advantage of us." (verse 11)

This man, the offender, did a hideous sin, but truly repented of it. Paul told the church to forgive him and receive him back into the church so Satan did not gain him. The offender had said some offensive things about Paul, either directly or indirectly, but Paul forgave the man.

David Guzik said,"Don't be ignorant of Satan's schemes. He can transform himself into an angel of light. He destroys souls. He ruins churches."

In Luke 17:3, NAS, Jesus said, "If your brother sins, rebuke him; And if he repents, forgive him."

There we have it. Plain and simple. In his first letter, Paul told the Corinthian church to love, now he tells them to forgive. Should I do less? I know it's a hard thing. When people tell lies about me, do spiteful things, hurt me in other ways, it isn't easy to forgive. Only with the forgiveness of God can I forgive others. As I keep sinning, I keep needing His forgiveness. With God's love I can love them. It's our choice.


LET IT GO


Let my life be a sweet fragrance, with the love and forgiveness of Jesus in my heart to share with others.

Forgive and keep on forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment