Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Who has the Power?

John 19
"Why don't you talk to me?" Pilate demanded. "Don't you realize that
 I have the power to release you or crucify you?"
Then said Jesus,"You would have no power over me at all unless it
were given to you from above."    John 19:10-11a  (NLT)


LET IT GLOW

At our house, sometimes the remote control to the tv gets misplaced. We
ask each other who has the power. Sometimes we ask where it is. Whoever
finds it says,"I have the power."


Pilate said that he had the power to kill or release Jesus, but the truth is, He
only thought he did. Ultimately, God has the power over everything. He
allows people to have power and He takes it away, also. We see that
in the Old Testament with kings rising to power and then falling, being
conquered.

I find comfort in this. Those in charge are not really in charge. Do I
acknowledge God is in charge of everything? Do I surrender to His power
and not keep trying to be in charge? Am I willing to give Him the remote
control to my life? Oooh, questions for me to ponder. How about you?


LET IT GROW

During the last few hours on the cross, while in the form of a man, Jesus said
some significant things:
  • Father, forgive them for they know not what they do. Luke 23:34
  • Today you will be in paradise. Luke 23:43
  • Woman, behold your son(John); Behold thy mother(Mary)verses26-27
  • My God, my God, why hast Thous forsaken Me? Mark 15:34
  • I thirst.  John 19:28
  • It is finished.  John 19:30
  • Father, into thy hands I commend My spirit.  Luke 23:46
Jesus asked the Father to forgive His executioners. Was that Love with a
capital L?
He told the thief hanging on the cross where his eternal life was.
How thoughtful Jesus was in taking care of his mother after His death. He
entrusted her care to his best friend, John.
Jesus was alone on the cross because He was baring the sins of the world.
God cannot look upon sin, so Jesus was  forsaken by Him.
He was thirsty as a man, but fulfilled Psalm 69:21.
Jesus' Spirit went to be with God after His physical death. So did His body
because it was not in the tomb, but resurrected on the third day.

Do I watch what I say? Do I carefully choose my words? Will people
remember what I say as good or bad? I definitely need some help here;
perhaps some self-contol.

LET IT GO

Lord, I want my words to please You and encourage others.

I surrender the controls over to You. Pinch me as a reminder when I take
it back.

Help me work on exercising self-control.



         

No comments:

Post a Comment