Friday, September 24, 2010

Fighting

Acts 5
"And so in the present case, I say to you, stay away from these men
and let them alone, for if this plan or action should be of men, it will be
overthrown; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them;
or else you may even be found fighting against God."  
Acts 5:38-39 (NAS)


Background:
Early Church Problems:
1. Hyprocrisy: One couple sells land and agree together to lie about the
    amount when they present part to the apostles for the church. This
    hypocrisy and dishonesty is a serious threat to the unity of prayer and love
    that exists. God acts and judges Ananias and Sapphira immediately.
2. Apostles persectuted: The crowds continue to gather to hear the apostles
    and be healed. This rouses the jealousy of the high priest and his associates.
   The apostles are arrested and brought before the Sanhedrin. Gamaliel
    persuades the Sanhedrin not to press for execution.
   (from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Handbook)


LET IT GLOW

Verses 19-20 say,"But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors,
and brought them forth, and said, 'Go, stand and speak in the temple to the
people all the words of this life.' "

Here we see the power of Jesus to open prison doors and set the captives
(apostles) free without the guards being aware of this happening.

In Luke 4:18-19, Jesus quoted Isaiah 61:1-3: The Spirit of the Lord is upon
me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; He hath
sent me to heal the broken-hearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and
recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to
preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Is there anything that is holding us captive resulting in repeated sins or habits?
Jesus can set us free from them, changing our heart and attitude.

I was held captive by a soft drink. I would drink it 3 or 4 times a day. I made
excuses, pretending it was my "comfort food" when stressed. In reality, it was
an enemy to my body. Since I have Crohn's disease, soft drinks is my
"forbidden fruit."  Let me tell you, it has been quiet a struggle to not drink it.
However, I am determined to not drink a glass for a year; four more months
to go. Jesus helps me resist the temptation.
Do you have any struggles?


LET IT GROW

The apostles had been commanded to not teach in Jesus' name, again.
 (Acts 4:18; 5:40) Did they obey? Of couse not.

In verse 29, Peter and the other apostles answered and said,"We ought to
obey God rather than men."
Gamaliel, a Pharisee and doctor of the law, told the captors, "if it be of God,
ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God."

So if we are doing God's will, then no one can stop us. God will take care of
them, one way or another. Our opposers are actually fighting against God.
No one wins in that situation, but God Almighty. So be encouraged, dear one.


LET IT GO

Let Jesus set me free  from my captors.

Let God do the fighting, not me, as I do His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment