Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Luscious Grapes

John 15
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him,
the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.  
John 15:5


LET IT GLOW

Lucious, huge clusters of grapes grew on the fence of our backyard years ago.
They were so tastey and sweet to eat. I pruned back some young branches,
which produced no grapes.This was done in order to have an even better crop
the next year.

Jesus used the illustration of Him being the grapevine (vine), God being the
garderner, and we being the brances. If He is in us and we are in Him, Jesus
will produce the fruit of the spirit in us, since He is our source of life. Howerver,
if we do not produce fruit, God will prune us, we will wither, and be cast away.

"Jesus said it is not our activity that produces fruit, it is our relationship with
Him," teaches Henry Blackaby.

The fruit of the Spirit is found in Galatians 5:22-23: love, joy, peace,
longsuffering (patience), gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness (humility), and
temperance (self-control).

Jesus tells us that without Him we can do nothing. So it is Him that produces
this fruit in us, not us. It is not what we do that produces spiritual fruit, but
us abiding in Him.

Am I abiding in Jesus and Jesus in me so that He produces in me love, joy,
peace, patience, gentleness, humility, and self-control ? Without Him, I can
do nothing. (Are these characteristics making me sweet like lucious grapes?)


LET IT GROW

Jesus said in verses 13-14,"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay
down his life for his friends.Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command
you."
Who in the Bible was known as a "friend of God?"  Abraham (Is.41:8),
Moses (Ex.33:11), and David (1Kings 11:4) were each known as the friend
of God. They all sought after God with all their heart. Jesus is our true friend
because He laid down His life for us.

Am I a friend of God, which dies to self for others and obeys Jesus? Later in
the garden, Jesus will pray "Not My will but God's will be done."
That should be my attitude, too.
Did you notice that Jesus said several times to love one another? If I am a
friend to God and to others, I will love them.

LET IT GO

Abide in Jesus and He in me so I show the fruit of the Spirit.
Be a friend of God and a friend to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment