Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sharing and Caring

Acts 2
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship,
and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.   Acts 2:42

Background:
Day of Pentecost-This is the OT harvest festival known as the "feast of
weeks." (Exodus 34:22-23) It is one of the three religious festivals all Jews are
to attend in Jerusalem, during which an offering is to be returned to God,
according to his blessing of his people.
In the first century some 150 Jewish colonies were established in major
population centers throughout the Roman Empire. Many Jews came from
them to Jerusalem for the feast of Pentecost, popular because the date was
well into the Mediterranean sailing season.
(from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Handbook)


LET IT GLOW

What a sermon Peter preached about the the Messiah, Jesus. As a result,
about 3,000 believed him, repented, and were saved, then baptized. It was
a remarkable beginning of the church. The people were all with one accord.
(verse 1)

In Experiencing God Day-By-Day, the Blackabys say:
"The disciples obeyed Jesus' command, waiting for God's next directive.
As they prayed, God adjusted their lives to what He intended to do next.
They were ready to participate in the mighty work God had already
planned. The purpose of prayer is not to convince God to change your
circumstances but to prepare you to be involved in God's activity.
If God has not responded to what you are praying, you may need to adjust
your praying to align with God's agenda."

The promised coming of the Holy Spirit happened in the form of a roaring
sound, visible tongues of fire resting on each of the 120 praying, and they
all spoke in foreign languages. It was for the purpose of the crowd of
visitors to hear about Jesus in their native language.
(from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Handbook)

Now this was definitely as "God thing." Only He could cause enough people
to speak in enough languages so enough people heard the gospel in their own
language. Do I hear an amen?

Am I available for the Holy Spirit to speak to me while I listen? Am
I prepared to be involved in God's activity? Do I need to align my praying with
God's agenda and not my own? Yes, indeed. I thought that I was praying for
God's will, but that's not it at all. I have been on the wrong track. Lord,
prepare me to be involved in Your activity.


LET IT GROW

What were these new believers doing? Verses 42-47 tell us that they:
  • continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine
  • fellowshiped
  • broke bread
  • prayed together
  • saw apostles do wonders and signs
  • sold possessions and goods, then shared with believers in need
  • worshiped in the Temple daily
  • met in houses for the Lord's Supper
  • shared meals with great joy and generosity
  • praised God
What a church! When hearts are right with God, sharing and caring take
place. God's love overflowed.
What does this say to me? My attitude should be "very cheerful, generous,
sympathetic, concerned, with an open-heart and an open-hand," according
to Matthew Henry.


LET IT GO

Align my prayers with God's agenda.

See where God is working, and join Him.

Listen to the Holy Spirit lead me daily.

Be prepared to change my attitudes and actions to please Him.

Do more sharing and caring with believers and non-believers, praying as I go.

Keep on keepin' on being faithful and obedient.

(These are things I am going to work on, and have not yet achieved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment