Monday, September 6, 2010

Assume The Position

John 13
If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought
to wash one another's feet.  John 13:14


LET IT GLOW

In our church many years ago, there was a sweet older lady who had colon
cancer. During the last six months of her life, she wore a colostomy. Because
of her frailty, she was unable to daily care for it, so I would stop by her house
on my way to teaching school and meet  her need. It was a very humiliating
situation for her, though I didn't mind since I had changed many diapers of my
two children. It was  an expression  of Christ's  love through me.


Matthew Henry's Commentary says:
   There are four reasons why Christ washed His disciples' feet:
  1. That He might testify His love to His disciples (verses 1-2)
    2.   That He might give an instance of His own voluntary humility and
           condescension. (verse 3)
  
    3.  That He might signify to them spiritual washing (verses 6-11)

    4.  That He might set them an example. (verses 12-17)   


With His love and humility, Jesus washed the disciples' feet, showing them an
example to do to each other. What position did He assume?  He  "assumed a
servant's position."
(I think He was talking about spiritually having their sinful heart  washed in His
blood shed on the cross, which was coming.)

In verse 14, Jesus tells His disciples to wash one another's feet. In this manner,
they would show love and humility as they bowed before each other, doing
a servant's act. There was no servant in the upper room that day to greet the
disciples and Jesus at the door, washing their dirty feet.
Bowing down to wash another's feet  shows the importance of the other
person. It doesn't have to be feet washing, but it can be serving in another
way.

Am I serving others in Jesus' name with love and humility? The attitude is just
as important as the task.


LET IT GROW

In verses 34-35, Jesus said, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye
love one another, as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to
another."

Although He was speaking to His disciples, wasn't Jesus also speaking to us?
People will know that we love Jesus when we love other believers.
He is commanding us to love our brethren, but does it stop there? He told us
to love our enemy and pray for those who despitefully use us. I think that
covers everyone. Sounds like I have some practice work to do this week.


LET IT GO

Be a servant with a attitude of love and humiliation.

Show an act of kindness to someone each day.





                   

         

No comments:

Post a Comment