Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Seeing is Believing, Or is It?

John 20
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast
believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. 
John 20:29


LET IT GLOW

There are things that I have not seen with my eyes, but I believe they exist
or did exist-gravity, wisdom, love, peace, George Washington, etc. Even
though they aren't visible, it doesn't mean they don't exist. Can I believe
without seeing?

Poor ole Doubting Thomas, he wasn't with the 10 disciples when Jesus
appeared to them in verse 19. All he had was the second hand accounts of
witnesses seeing and talking to Jesus after His death on the cross. He wasn't
going to believe it unless he experienced it first hand. And that he did. Jesus
made sure of it. In fact, Jesus quoted Thomas in verse 27.

It is doubtful that Thomas actually touched Jesus as he said his faith required.
He was overwhelmed, don't you think? Thomas could only say,"My Lord and
my God" in his hour of belief.

Matthew Henry says,"My Lord refers to Adonai-my foundation and stay and
My God refers to Elohim-my prince and judge."

Charles Swindoll says in his book, The Greatest Life of All, Jesus :
"This time Jesus came to see one person in particular. Not to scold or to
chastise or to shame... but to heal.
Thomas didn't move. He didn't even lift a finger. He didn't argue or resist. He
had been given everything he needed and therefore responded as only a
genuine follower of Jesus can respond."

We must believe in Jesus' deity, His resurrection, and make our open
profession of faith to those who witnessed our unbelief, as Thomas did.

Can others believe in God when they can't see Him? Does gravity, love,
wisdom, peace, and George Washington exist? Yes, indeed.

Without faith, it is impossible to please (God) him: for he that cometh to God
must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek
him. (Hebrews 11:6)

The just live by faith. (Hebrews 10:38a)

For we walk by faith, not by sight. ( 2 Corinthians 5:7)

The question is, do we believe without seeing Jesus?

         The late chaplain of the United States Senate Peter Marshall
         wrote in his book, The First Easter:
        "Thank God, we have an empty tomb.
         The glorious fact that the empty tomb proclaims to us is that life for us
         does not stop when death comes. Death is not a wall, but a door."



LET IT GROW

In verse 21b, Jesus told His disciples,"As My Father hath sent Me, even so
send I you."

Christ was sending His disciples to continue His work on earth, which was
spreading the gospel. Also, He sends His followers, believers, us into the
world to spread the gospel.

Am I?



LET IT GO


Do I believe in Jesus without seeing Him? Yes, I do.

Lord, help me share You with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment