Wednesday, June 26, 2019

A Heart of Gold

O. T. #1471  "A Heart of Gold"
June 26, 2019
Proverbs 17
The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD trieth the hearts. 
Proverbs 17:3

LET IT GLOW

Families eating together at the dinner table-is it a norm or unusual today? I recall all families ate supper together when I was growing up. We would sit down and talk about the day's events. It was a tradition not only regarded at holidays, but a daily practice. How about your family?

Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than a house full of sacrifices with strife. (v. 1)

It is better to have a simple meal in peace is better than having a feast with contention. (Falwell)

Conflict does not set well on the stomach. It can cause one's to be upset. Something to think about.

LET IT GROW

Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but the LORD tests the heart. (v. 3)

In order to separate the impurities of gold and silver, it must be heated at high temperatures. Then the dross can be scraped off and removed. I think of the huge pots used in refineries. In a similar way, it takes the heat of trials for the Christian to be purified. God shows us what is in us and clears out anything that gets in the way of complete trust in Him as He uses trials.
1 Peter 1:7 tells us that trials are testing our faith so it results in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Our faith is more precious than gold. Is our faith lasting like gold? Does our heart need purifying from sin?

So when tough times come our way, remember that God wants to use them to refine our faith and purify our heart.
Have you heart the phrase, "They have a heart of gold?" To me it is one that is pure in motives and right with God, loving and serving others. The good ol' boy or gal that will do whatever to help you.
There is our challenge today-have a heart of gold.

LET IT GO

Show me the impurities in my heart.
Wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.
Hold me as I go through the testing of my faith.
May I turn to you and trust You, Jesus.
May I be quick to help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment