July 5, 2016
1 Kings 15-Part 2
LET IT GLOW
We have seen Solomon's kingdom divided into to kingdoms. His son Rehoboam did evil in the sight of the Lord. He made detestable idols and shrines for Judah to have to worship pagan gods. Egypt came and took all the valuables in the Temple during his time as king. His son Abijam, or Abijah, as he was called, committed the same sins as is father. He only red 3 years, although he defeated Jeroboam in Israel in battle.
Sound the trumpet, friends, for a good king is on the scene! Asa, who was Abijah's son and Rehoboam's grandson, and Solomon's great-grandson, becomes king over Judah.
Asa did what was pleasing in the LORD's sight, as his ancestor David had done. (verse 11)
What else did King Asa do in Judah?
- He banished the male and female shrine prostitutes from the land.
- He got rid of the idols his ancestors had made. (verse 12)
- He even disposed of his grandmother Maccah from her position as queen mother because she had mad n obscene Asherah pole, which Asa cut down and burnt in the Kidron Valey.
- Although the pagan shrines were not removed, Asa's heart remained faithful to the LORD throughout his life.
- He brought into the Temple of the LORD the silver and gold and various items that he and his father had dedicated. (NIV)
Jesus is the hope for the hopeless. There is no one like our God.
LET IT GROW
As I read in the Chronological Bible, 2 Chronicles 15 informs us that God's Spirit spoke to Azariah with a Word from God saying:
- The LORD would stay with them as long as they stayed with Him.
- Whenever they sought God, they would find Him.
- If they abandoned God, He would abandon them.
- For a long time Israel was without the True God, without a priest to teach them, without the Law to instruct them.
- But whenever they were in trouble, hey would turn to God and find Him.
- God was troubling them with every kind of problem.
- But as for you, Asa, be strong and courageous, for your work will be rewarded.
Now that is what I call a complete turn around. Isn't that what repentance means?
I needed to hear this encouragement-be strong and courageous, for my work will be rewarded. I have spent long hours last week decorating the walls in preparation for our church having Vacation Bible School next week. Still there is more to prepare. Some of us have gone out 3 times visiting and have one more scheduled. Our heart is to reach the children, youth, and their parents with the love and salvation of Jesus Christ in our area.
Please pray for our church starting Sunday.
Now dear one, I pray you too will find encouragement from the Lord.
LET IT GO
Remove anything is has become more important than God.
Keep my heart faithful to the Lord throughout my life.
Share the good news that Jesus reigns as king in my heart.
Ask the Lord what is pleasing to Him and do it.