June 11, 2014
Numbers 3-Part 2
Moses took the redemption money of them that were over and above them that were redeemed by the Levites. Numbers 3:49
LET IT GLOW
I don't know about your family, but mine is a patriarchal. After my grandfather passed away, my dad, the oldest son, took over as leader. Now that they are gone, my only uncle seems to be the leader of our family. I think it is a good system to have for families. We were not meant to be a matriarchal society. I don't think women are meant to be leaders in our government nor family. Let the men step up to lead us, and the women submit to them.
What do we learn about the Levite family?
- The three sons of Levi were Gershon, Kohath, and Merari. (verse 17)
- Aaron, Miriam, and Moses were descendants of Levi through his son Kohath. (1 Chr. 6:1-2; 23:13)
- The Gershonites were responsible for the tent and coverings of the Tabernacle; they numbered 7,500.
- The Kohathites were responsible for the furniture and vessels of the Tabernacle; they numbered 8,600.
- The Merarites were in charge of the frames, boards, pillars, and sockets of the Tabernacle; they numbered 6,200.
- They were appointed to set up and take down the Tabernacle when it was moved.
- The total number of the descendants of Levi's three sons was 22,300 of the first-born males age 1 month and up. (verse 39,43)
- Eleazar, the son of Aaron the high priest, became chief of the Levites. Later, he became the second high priest, replacing Aaron (20:25).
LET IT GROW
What was the importance of the Levites?
- All the first-born man and beast of Israel belonged to the LORD. (verse 13)
- The Levites became a substitute for them. They were servants in the Tabernacle instead of the first-born males of all the tribes. The Levites redeemed and liberated those from their special relationship and responsibility toward the Tabernacle.
- One Levite was accepted for one of the first-born. Since there were 273 more first-born than Levites, money was given for this number. (verses 46-47) This was accordance to the law found in Leviticus 27.
- The redemption money was given to Aaron and his sons (verses 49-51).
Is He your Redeemer? Have you asked Him to be? To forgive you of your sins?
LET IT GO
Sing praises to my Redeemer.
Share the redemption story with my family and others.
Be submissive to the men leading my family.