Friday, November 9, 2012

Testimony

647.  "Testimony"  November 9, 2012
3 John-Part 5    (verses 12-14)
Demetrius hat good report of all men, and of the truth itself: yea, and we also bear record, and ye know that our record is true. 3 John 1:12 

LET IT GLOW

Yesterday, I went to the local library to turn in some books I had checked out. To my surprise, one of our church members was volunteering at the desk. I visited a few minutes with her and the other lady I had known for years. While I was walking down the isle toward the back door, I could hear the two
ladies talking. I supposed they were talking about me, since one said I was her pastor's wife. I wish I could have been a little library mouse that day and heard their discussion. I wonder what kind of testimony I had.
John is talking about the testimony of a man named Demetrius. This is the only place in the Bible that he is mentioned. He probably delivered this short letter to Gaius.

What do we know about Demetrius' testimony?
  1. He received a good testimony universally from everyone, a good report. Good report, martyreo in Greek, is the same word that is used for preaching, or testifying to the truth of the gospel.
  2. He received a good testimony from the truth itself. His life lined up with its teaching and practice.
  3. He received a good testimony from the apostle and his close circle of friends-and we also bear witness. John gives his word, report, concerning the genuine Christian character of Demetrius.
[Resource: New Testament Postcards, a Bible Study Guide by Charles Swindoll, Liberty Bible Commentary]

Do people know that I am a Christian by my speech and actions? Is my life lined up with the Word of God? Am I practicing what I teach? Do others see my faith and feel my love?

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. (John 13:35)

* I am flying to the Dominican Republic today, along with 7 others on a mission trip. Please pray for us as we witness, preach, and teach the gospel of Jesus Christ in remote areas. Sunday, I will be teaching about Zacheus to a children's Sunday School class at a church. Monday's post gives more details of the plans. Keep checking back with me. If possible, I will update on the Lord's workings.

LET IT GROW

In the final two verses, what do I hear?
  • John is eager to visit these believers to whom he is writing.
  • He wishes them peace.
  • He sent greetings from other friends.
I am sad to come to the close of John's writings of these three small letters. However, there is one more book which he did write, left for us to study-Revelation. We are studying it on Wednesday nights in my church. so stay tuned, friends.

LET IT GO

In her devotional book Jesus Calling, Sarah Young writes as if Jesus were speaking:
Worship Me in the beauty of holiness. All true beauty reflects some of who I AM. I am working My ways in you: the divine Artist creating loveliness with your being. My main work is to clear out debris and clutter, making room for My Spirit to take full possession. Collaborate with Me in this effort by being willing to let go of anything I choose to take away. I know what you need, and I have promised to provide all of that-abundantly!
I am training you to depend on Me alone. Learn to release and receive.
 
I will close with Sarah's use of scriptures. Am I willing to let go of anything?



No comments:

Post a Comment