Thursday, November 8, 2012

Follow the Leader

646.  "Follow the Leader"
November 8, 2012
3 John-Part 4    (Verses 11)
Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. he that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.  3 John 11


LET IT GLOW

As a child, I used to play Follow the Leader with my friends. We would walk behind the leader and imitate what she did. We copied her mannerisms as well as where she went.If she waved her hands like a flying bird, we all did the same. After a while, another girl would be the leader and we mimiced her.
John gives similiar instructions. I am to follow that which is good.
Follow means to imitate, according to Thayer's Lexicon. Imitate means to copy in manner or action; mimic, according to Webster's Dictionary.

So far, in this letter, John has spoken about a good example, Gaius, and a bad example, Diotrephes. What a contrast-Gaius was faithful and hospitable while Diotrephes was prideful and inhospitable. Gaius was a joy maker for others, but Diotrephes was a trouble maker. Gaius had a servant's heart, however, Diotrephes wanted to be served.

Am I imitating that which is good? Although Jesus was the only one who was good, we can still do as others do when they are a follower of God.
What can I do?
  • Give a blessing.
  • Do acts of kindness and beneficence.
  • Be merciful and gracious.
  • Show love in Jesus' name.
  • Minister to the saints.
  • Encourage others to be faithful to Jesus.
  • Confess my sins. 
LET IT GROW

To contrast, what should I not do?
  • Put me first instead of others.
  • Have a hard heart.
  • Be prideful.
  • Show inhospitality to the saints.
  • Maintain evil thoughts.
  • Don't give mercy and grace.
  • Live in sin.
Sounds like some do's and don'ts, doesn't it? Which character do I want to follow?

LET IT GO

Leave the me mentality, and serve others.

Show grace and mercy.

Stay in the Truth.

Practice goodness.








No comments:

Post a Comment