Monday, November 5, 2012

Encouragment

643.  "Encouragment"           November 5, 2012
3 John-Part 1
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.  3 John 2

LET IT GLOW

Encouragment-who doesn't need a little now and then?
This week I went to the wrong nail place to get my eyebrows trimmed. They wouldn't honor my gift certificate, so I had to pay for it. My car got backed into at a local store. (only scratches) My suitcase is busted and now we have an unexpected expense to purchase one. Pigeons are pooping on my porch. This morning I was eating my homemade biscuit with blackberry jelly (last jar), which stuck to the napkin, causing the purple jellied biscuit to fall down the front of my gray sweats, as I was taking the jar to the frig. An email I sent didn't get there, so I have to retype my lesson for my mission trip. It took 2 hours to write. (No Word on laptop since it costs over $100.) And then there is my right ey, which keeps making tears due to allergies.Well, it is a bright, sunny day today.

Yes, I could use a cup of encouragment about now. How about you? (I should be thankful that I have a dry, warm, watered and well lit house, which some northeasterners don't have.)
John seems to have some encouragment for us. Ready?

3 John is written to a guy named Gaius, a leader of the church to whom John wrote his second letter. We don't know any background on this guy, but John says Gaius:
  • is a dear friend (well-beloved); (verse 1)
  • is  one whom John loves in truth; (verse 1)
  • may prosper, get along well; (verse 2)
  • may be in health, in as good health physically as he is spiritually; (verse 2)
  • had a good witness by brethren of being in the truth; (verse 3)
  • walks in the truth, lives according to the apostles' message; (verse 3)
  • gives John joy. (verse 4)
Am I a dear friend? What do others say about me? Am I walking in the truth, applying God's Word in my life? Give others joy?

LET IT GROW

How is Gaius a good example for us to follow?
  • walking in truth
  • exhibits hospitality to God's children (Heb. 13:1-2)
  • was a good friend of John's who prays for him in verses 1-4.
LET IT GO

Stay in the Truth.

Love others.

Show hospitality to believers.

Encourage others.

No comments:

Post a Comment