Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Suffering on a Silver Platter

Hebrews 10-Part 4
You suffered along with those who were thrown into jail, and when all you owned was taken from you, you accepted it with joy. You knew there were better things waiting for you that will last forever.  Hebrews 10:34 NLT

LET IT GLOW

When we got married, my aunt gave us a beautiful silver platter for a wedding gift. Ihave  kept it shined up real pretty for these 40 years, but never used it. In fact, it's packed away somewhere right now. I never have served anything on it to guests. As I read this chapter, I got to thinking.
In all of my 40 years of being a Christian, I really haven't suffered. Oh, I've lost a few jobs because of the stands I took, been made fun of for my conservative appearance and beliefs, but I haven't really suffered as the New Testament believers did. The old saying: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me isn't true.  Words do hurt. They can cut into the very depth of the soul and take a very long time to heal. In looking at the various ways the readers have suffered for their Savior, I am quite blessed. Compared to them, I'm only an ant. Guess I'm not very mature yet since I don't joyfully accept any sufferings handed to me.
So if I were handed a silver platter on which to present my sufferings to Jesus, it would probably only hold a few crumbs. There would not be anything significant. How about you? Can you present any sufferings on a silver platter to Jesus? Well, I think we will only lay them at His feet when we come into His presence. They won't matter at all then.

Shortly after they were saved, the readers of Hebrews suffered for being a believer in Christ. The author wants them to carefully think back to what happened. He mentions such things as:
  • made a spectacle of-disgraced and ridiculed in public, as an actor on stage thaat's observed by everyone (gazestock)
  • suffered because they identified with believers (verse 33),
  • sympathized and associated with others who had experienced even greater trials,
  • beaten
  • had their property seized (verse 34); perhaps they lost people, reputation, health, security, and freedom as well,
  • imprisoned (indicating the author is Paul) (verse 35).
All of these hardships were endured and accepted joyfully. How could they? Because they possessed something greater than that which they had lost (verse 34). Heaven and everthing there.
They knew better things were waiting for them, things that would last forever. (verse 34b)
Do I allow sufferings to help me grow in faith?

James 1:2-4 NLT says When troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.

How do I handle my stressful tests? Do I allow the test of others' tongue and actions get me down? Do I allow the test of indirect suffering with loved one ruffle my feathers? Do I loose things gracefully? Am I keeping Jesus as number 1 in my life?

LET IT GROW

The exhortations given in Hebrews comes in the form of six warnings against:
1. drifing from "the things we have heard" (2:1-4),
2. disbelieving the "voice" of God (3:7-14),
3. degenerating from "the elementary principles of Christ " (5:11-6:20),
4. despising "the knowledge of the truth" (10:26-39). (MacArthur)

The fourth warning deals with the sin of apostasy, an intentional falling away, or defection. Apostates are those who move toward Christ, hear and understand His gospel, and are on the verge of saving belief, but then rebel and turn away. (MacArthur Bible Commentary)

Despising is willful sin, as in verse 26.

 According to Wiersbe, in his book, Be Confident,  it should read, "For if we willfully go on sinning." This exhortation is no dealing with one particular act of sin, but with an attitude that leads to repeated disobedience. Instead of having a bold profession of faith, hope, and love, a backslidden believer so lives that his actions and attitudes abring disgrace to the name of Christ and the church.
What should a believer do who has drifted away into spiritual doubt and dullness and is deliberately despising God's Word? He should turn to God for mercy and forgiveness. Fall into His hands for cleansing and restoration.

David, in Psalm 51, could only offer a broken heart unto God after sinning with Bathsheba. he begged for mercy. Isn't that all we can do when we recognize our sin, beg for God's mercy and forgiveness?
Verse 17 says that God will not despise a broken and contrite, repentant heart.


LET IT GO

Accept suffering with joy, keeping my focus on Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith.

Allow trials to grow my faith, not shrink it.

Stop this deliberate sinning, repent, and turn away from it.

Keep seeking mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment