Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can God Handle my Little World?

Hebrews 11-Part 2
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.   Hebrews 11:3

LET IT GLOW

Can God handle my little world? My little world consists of ten mile radius. It includes our home, son's family, business, and church. (Of course, I have to trust him with my daughter's family, they're in Rhode Island.) I'm talking about, do I think God is big enough to solve my problems of finances, health, relationships, physical needs? Do I trust Him with my life, family, church, future and present? How big is my faith? I still have the mustard seeds in a jar on my kitchen window sill as a reminder that my faith can be small and can still please God.
My conclusion is that God can handle my little world; after all, He created this vast world, universe, galaxy, and beyond. What's a little thing like that to Him? In Genesis 18:14, the Lord asked Abraham the question, "Is anything too hard for the Lord?" I conclude-Nothing is too difficult for Him. So why is my faith so small?
I need to trust  God with my little world more and more. How about you? The God who made the earth, sun, moon, and stars just by speaking them into being, can surely handle our little worlds, can't He? I want to zoom in on this verse.
The word translated worlds (aionas in Greek) refers to "the vast eons of time and all that fills them." Though the word has mainly a temporal idea, it involves the physical world that is united with time. God is the framer of time and space. His word (rhema in Greek) was the creative fiat; He spoke, and it came into being. He created ex nihilo, "out of nothing." (Liberty Bible Commentary)

David Wilkerson, in his book, Knowing God By Name, says:
El Elyon means God Most High, creator and possessor of all things. Are you persuaded that God is in absolute control over all things in your own life? Are we convinced that He holds our entire lives and well-being in His hands? Are you able to face the storms, test and trial in your life, calmly testifying, "My God, El Elyon, has everything under control"?  God is boss of everything. That means there are no accidents in my life-no such things as fate, happen-stance or luck, either good or bad. Every step I take is ordered by the Lord. Everything in my life-in fact, everthing in this universe-is under His control.

According to Thayer's Lexicon, faith used in this verse is of means or mode by faith or by believing, prompted, actuated, by faith; worlds refers to universe; things contained in time; framed means to fit, equip, put in order, arrange, adjust: the worlds.

Were framed is a verb phrase involved in equipping so that something might be made ready to fulfill its purpose. Word of God refers to God's utterance. (Mac Arthur Bible Commentary)

The Amplified Bible says By faith we understand that the worlds[during the succcessive ages] were framed (fashioned, put in order, and equipped for their intended purpose) by the word of God, so that what we see was not made out of things which are visible.

Do we believe, by faith, that God made, equipt, arranged everything in the universe and beyond just by His speaking it to be, and it happened? He made it ready to fulfill its purpose. No man was there to see things created, so we have to take God at His Word, believe that it is true. What a powerful and awesome God we serve!
I applying the verse to me, can I say that "by faith I understand that Linda's little world was fashioned, put in order, and equipped for its purpose by God speaking it to be so"? Do I believe that God has prearranged my world, life, to be as such for His purpose? Do I have trouble believing that He can handle my little world on this country road. Hummmm

LET IT GROW

The rest of the verse says, in NLT: that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.
NIV says so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

The book of Genesis explains for us the events of creation, but it must be accepted through faith. God created the universe out of something which can't be seen.
MacArthur says "There is the possibility that the invisible something was God's own energy or power."
It is hard for my mind to understand this since I live in the physical. There once was a time when there was nothing physical-only God the Father, His Son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit existed. The Word says how it happened, and I believe it. That's faith.

A verse came to me in other reading-Romans 1:20-21NLT says For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn't worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused.

Matthew Henry says the "they" mentioned above were Gentiles. They didn't recognize nor worship God, but made idols, images, and other dieties to worship. They didn't give thanks to the Creator for all He created and provided for them. Has mankind changed? Don't we set up idols of our our making, not visible ones, but ones that take our time, allegiance, worship, and thankfulness away from God?
Ouch! Does our straying begin with neglecting to give thanks to God for everything, thus pride sets in.We may subconsciously think we provided something.

LET IT GO

Daily let go of the control of my little world and give God control it all. (easier said than done)

Trust my creator, El Elyon, with everything. Believe that He doesn't make mistakes, so all He does is for my good and His glory.

Continue to give thanks to God throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment