Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pay Backs are Tough

Hebrews 10-Part 5
For we know the one who said, "I will take revenge. I will pay them back." He also said, "The Lord will judge his own people." It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Hebrews 10:30-31 NLT
For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.  (King James Version)

LET IT GLOW

How many times have I asked "Why does God allow these terrible things to happen in the world?"
Why are Christians murdered, get cancer,are abused, die in accidents (the list is endless)?

I have no answer. We trust that God makes no mistakes in allowing things. We trust that God will use situations for His glory.

An excert from Charles R. Swindoll's Great Days with the Great Lives states:
*Whatever God plans, He pursues. It's His plans, not ours.
*Whomever God chooses, He uses. We prove more useful to the Lord when we accept the reality that
   the people God chooses are never perfect and trust Him with our imperfections.
*Wherever God selects, He sends. He sends. His places are not the places we would choose to go on
   our own. God sends people of His choosing to places of His choosing.
It's about walking with God through the surprising events He has designed. It's about embracing change. It's about maintaining flexibility.
I've  said many times that life is a challenge, an adventure. It's how we handle it that counts. Is my faith growing stronger or weaker because of the challenges I meet?
I must keep in mind that people like to take matters into their own hands and make their own choices, instead of following God's will. Therefore, situations happen that are difficult to handle and understand. Trusting God is the only way. His way is best.

In his devotional book, Five Meaningful Minutes a Day, Swindoll states:
There may be dozens of reasons for suffering, but 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 gives us three:
1. that we might have the capacity to enter into others' sorrow and affliction;
2. that we might learn what it means to depend on Him;
3. that we might learn to give thanks in everything.

LET IT GROW
At any rate, my God is Sovereign, in control of all things. He has a plan and He's working it. I am trusting Him to do all things perfectly. Whatever challenges today holds, I know who holds my hand and is walking beside me on this country road of faith.
I have learned to back off and let God take care of people whenever they treat me badly instead of me taking revenge. I have seen His judgment and it is far worse than what I would have imagined. Are you in a tough situation right now? What does the Word say?

Vengance means a revenging, punishment; recompense means to repay, in a bad sense: of penalty and vengance. (Thayer's Lexicon)

In the key scripture, the author is quoting Deuteronomy 32:35-36. Moses was giving a final warning to the Israelites before he died and they entered the Promised Land. When I looked up vengance in a concordance, I saw it used several times by Ezekiel, Isaiah, and Jeremiah. Now those men were prophets who suffered for their God's will to be accomplished. Do I deserve anything better?

God is still living and active; His judgment is certain and severe. For believers, our God is a God of love and mercy; for the defiant, He is a God to be dreaded and feared. (Falwell)

Do I lash out with hurtful words to take revenge or do I allow God to take care of the situation? Pay backs are tough. I've had people do mean things to me when I didn't deserve it. Where is the love?
1 Corinthians 14:1a (NIV) tells us to Follow the way of love.
Sometimes in the Word, God killed people because of their rebellion. However, God does not always take the life of a rebellious believer, but He always deals with him. God forgave David's sins, but David suffered the sad consequences for years afterward (2 Sam. 12).
David said, in 1 Chronicles 21:13 Let me fall now into the hand of the Lord; for very great are his mercies. 
It can be a fearful thing to fall into God's hands (chastening) or it can be a wonderful thing to fall into His hands (cleansing and forgiveness).

Which do we want?

LET IT GO

Go to the Lord and let go of my plans, my ways, exchanging them for His plans and His ways.

Let Him use me for His choosing.

Let Him take care of the revenge, not me.

Trust and obey; love my enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment