Thursday, February 23, 2012

Throw Aways

Hebrews 10-Part 6
Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
Hebrews 10:35-36 KJV

So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. remember the great reward it brings you! Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God's will. Then you will receive all that he has promised.  Hebrews 10:35-36 NLT

LET IT GLOW

I look in the trash and what do I see? Throw away paper plates, styrofoam cups, empty milk jugs, an old box for pancake mix. Are there other things I'm throwing away? Invisible things like good health, precious time, creativity, talents, friendships, faith, trust. Do I let them slip away through my fingers? I wouldn't intentionally  throw those things away.

In the latter part of chapter 10, the author exhorts the readers twice:
First, he encourages them to remember the sufferings they endured shortly after they were saved (verse 32) ; they had endured with joy and knowledge that they possessed something far greater than that which they had lost.
Second, he encouraages them to hang on to the boldness they had known (verse 35).
(Liberty Bible Commentary)

Confidence, parrhesia in the Greek, means outspokenness, frankness, bluntness, publicity, assurance: bold, freely, openly, plainly. (Thayer's Lexicon)

Recompense refers to a giving away or giving back of a reward. (Young's Concordance)

Matthew Henry tells us:
The readers are encouraged to not cast away, throw away, their confidence, holy courage and boldness, but to hold fast that profession for which they had suffered so much before. The writer assures them that the reward of their holy confidence would be great.They would have:
  • a holy peace,
  • joy,
  • much of God's presence,
  • God's power resting upon them.
Wiersbe said,"The secret of victory was in their faith and patience. At that great time (imprisonment), they had great confidence and hope, but now they were in danger of casting away that confidence and going back into their old religion.

Do I keep daily trusting in the Lord of my salvation? Am I putting my trust exclusively in Christ? Or do I allow circumstances to discourage me that I throw away my confidence, assurance, bold witnessing. Do I allow criticism or being made fun of cause me to shrink into a lack of confidence? Is my confidence in Jesus and His abilities, not in mine? Do I keep quiet when I should speak up? Things to ponder. I want boldness to proclaim His truth and Word.


LET IT GROW

Patience means steadfastness, constancy, endurance; in the NT it is the characteristic of a man who is unswerved from his deliberate purpose and his loyalty to faith and piety by even the greatest trials and sufferings.

Sounds like it isn't enough to only have faith. I need patience. Boy, do I ever! (I can see a finger pointing at me.) Waiting is not my better quality, I'll admit.

The author is telling us to first do the will of God, then have patience to wait for the time when the promise will be fulfilled. Eventually, we will have our just reward. Meanwhile, I am to be God's waiting servant. (Easier said than done.)
What is to be our distinguishing character and happiness as a Christian? Perseverance, patience is. And don't we all need an extra cup full of that?
Wait, patience is a fruit of the Spirit isn't it? So God has it available to pour out on me all the patience I need.
I'm expecting an opportunity today for me to do God's will and then have to patiently wait for Him to accomplish His purpose through it and me. Look out friends, a trial is coming!

Acts 17:28 says For in Him we live and move and exist.

Philippians 4:5 says Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

1 Corinthians 14:1 says Let love be your highest goal.

LET IT GO

Have confidence and trust in the Lord.

Do His will, then wait patiently for His purpose to be done.

Know that a reward is waiting for me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment