Friday, February 3, 2012

An Anchor for My Soul

Hebrews 6:19-20
This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.    Hebrews 6:19-20  NAS


LET IT GLOW

I have never sailed on a huge ocean liner. The only ship I have sailed on is a small dinner ship that sailed around a lake while we ate and were entertained. However, it did have a large anchor on a wire wench used to raise and lower it.This allowed the ship to stay at dock while we loaded and unloaded.
Our key verse today describes an anchor for my soul, which is Jesus.

We are in this world as a ship at sea, liable to be tossed up and down, and in danager of being cast away. Our souls are the vessels. The temptations, persecutions, and afflictions that we encounter are the winds and waves that threaten our shipwreck.We have need of an anchor to keep us sure and steady, or we are in continual danger. In our stormy passage through the world, the gospel hope is our anchor. It is sure and stedfast, or else it couldn't keep us so.  (Matthew Henry)

An anchor is a stay or safeguard as hope; sure means firm (that can be relied on, confided in); stedfast means stable, firm. (Thayer's Lexicon)

I'm reminded of words to a song: My boat of life sails on a trouble sea, ever there's a wind in my sail. but I have a friend who watches over me, when the wind turns into a gale.
Anoter song says: my anchor holds and grip the solid rock-that Rock is Jesus...Be very sure, your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock.

Just as the winds and waves move a ship without an anchor, so does life. Trials and troubles try to move us away from God's Word and Jesus. We have to stay sure and stedfast in our faith in Jesus, or else we will be banged up hitting the rocks.

Wiersbe said, "Christians have but one anchor-Jesus Christ our hope.However, this spiritual anchor is different from material anchors on ships. For one thing, we are anchored upward-to heaven-not downward. We are anchored not to stand still, but to move ahead! Our anchor is sure-it cannot break-and steadfast-it cannot slip. No earthly anchor can give that kind of security!"

Am I letting Jesus be my anchor? He is a strong and trustworthy anchor for my soul. (NLT) Am I ready to ride out the storms with Jesus?


LET IT GROW

Warren Wiersbe, in his book, Be Confident said:
This hope we have is Jesus and He has already gone into God's inner sanctuary, the Holy of Holies, before us and for us. He is functioning as our eternal High Priest.
He is our "forerunner" who has gone ahead to heaven so that we may one day follow. The Old Testament high priest was not a "forerunner" because nobody could follow him into the Holy of Holies. But Jesus Christ has gone to heaven so that one day we may follow.

That sounds good to me.

LET IT GO

Trust Jesus as my anchor.

Seek my Hig Priest, Jesus, when the waves and winds of life try to blow me off course.

No comments:

Post a Comment