Monday, October 25, 2010

Heroes

Acts 26
Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a
Christian.   Acts 26:28


LET IT GLOW

Charles Swindoll, in his book Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit states:

Webster defines a hero as "a person admired for achievements and noble
qualities; one who shows great courage." Swindoll says, "A hero is someone
who stands tall when others shrink back. It's someone who speaks up for
what's right as others look away, sitting silently on the sidelines."

In his book, Brother Chuck gives examples of some heroes-David, Esther,
Daniel, Patrick Henry, Martin Luther King, Jr.; Sept.11, 2001 heroes-
firefighters, emergency medical personnel, and police officers.
(May I  add to that list the passengers on those planes that crashed.)

"Acts 26 illustrates his (Paul's) ability to stand alone and determined even
under the most extreme pressures," said Swindoll.


So after reading  that list, I asked myself, "Who's my hero?" Of course there
are Biblical ones, but a modern-day hero? I would have to say is none other
than Brother Chuck Swindoll. "Why?" you may ask. He stands tall as Paul
stood, teaching and preaching the truth from the Bible, loving folks, and
showing us how to apply the Word to our everyday life. He and his wife
Cynthia have been through many struggles and trials throughout their years,
yet have remained faithful to our Lord. His words of encouragement have
seen me through many trials.

Another hero is a couple found in my hometown, David and Lorreta Millsap.
David served as an elementary principal, a high school counselor, my Sunday
School teacher, deacon at my church, while his wife was my sixth grade
teacher, WMU director, a mother of 5, etc. Their faith in our Savior has
shone through their lives, especially when they lost 2 grandchildren,
experienced a stroke, endured surgeries. What an influence thaey both have
had on our community. Such love and endurance can only come Jesus.
Thank you is never enough, David and Lorreta.

Well now, have you thought of anyone that's your hero? Please share with us.
Why not let your heroes know it? Send a letter or call them.
As the song says, "Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am a life that was (is)
changed." We never know who is watching us.


LET IT GROW

In chapter 26, Paul gave his defense before Governor Festus, King Agrippa,
and other dignitaries. This is the third time Paul gives a description of his
conversion found in Scripture.
Paul made a direct appeal to Agrippa. He challenged the King to make a
personal committment of faith. In verse 27, Paul asked him,"Believest thou
the prophets? I know that thou believest."

The Preacher's Outline and Sermon Bible says:
Agrippa was familiar with Scripture and apparently was gripped by Paul's
message. (No pun intended.) His interest was aroused by the possibility that
Jesus really was the Jewish Messiah. Paul longed for all who were under the
sound of his voice to be saved.


 All this seemed like utter madness to Festus. I wonder if his comment in
verse 24, accusing Paul of being beside himself, had an influence on the king
and others.

Do my words and life persuade others to become a Christian? Only the Lord
knows, but I want them to. What a challenge.

The chapter ends with the king and Bernice and the governor discussing the
matter. If Paul had not appealed to Caesar, he could have been set free
because Paul had done nothing that deserved death or imprisonment, as the
two officials agreed.


LET IT GO

Jesus is my ultimate hero and I hope yours, too.

Let others know that I appreciate them and consider them my heroes.

Consider my life and words to be influencial, good or bad.

Persuade others to become a believer in Jesus as Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment