Thursday, October 28, 2010

Contentment

Summary of Acts
Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in
whatever circumstances I am.  Philippians 4:11 NAS

In review of Acts, Dr. Luke writes to Theophilus, but emphasizes Jesus,
what He did and taught, at the beginning of this letter. As we read through,
did you highlight some golden nuggets? (Special Scriptures that have
significance or spoke to you.) I did, and will share them on the next lesson.

Let's recall some of the main events we read  from Dr. Luke:
Day of Pentecost; Peter and John witnessing; deacon Stephen, first Christian
martyr; deacon Phillip and the Ethiopian eunuch; the Jerusalem church, Saul's
conversion on Damascus road; Barnabas' mentoring Saul; Antioch church-
first Christians; 3 missionary journeys of Paul and team; new churches started
with new converts; trials of Paul; Paul going to Rome and at Rome.


LET IT GLOW

When I thought about the title of this lesson, I knew I was lacking in this area.
I often grumble about my physical ailments, my limitations, my circumstances.
Sounds like I have a problem. My focus is on the wrong thing, things and not
on Christ. Yes, don't we all need reminding from time to time? How did Paul
do it?

Paul's purpose for his missionary journeys is found in Acts 9:15,"But the Lord
said unto him (Paul), 'Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear
my  name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel.' "
Did he accomplish his misson in life? It seems to me that he did, with Jesus
working in and through him. Am I accomplishing my mission? Do I know
what my mission in life is?

While in Rome, Paul wrote Philippians 4:11b, NAS states, "I have learned
to be content in whatever circumstances I am." (This guy has been
beaten, stoned, walked thousands of miles, shipwrecked, hungry, etc. yet he
found contentment. How?)

KJV uses the word state instead of circumstances.
Beck version uses the word condition instead of circumstances.
NLT says," I have learned how to be content with whatever I have."

The word content can be a verb which means to satisfy the mind; to make
quiet; so as to stop complaint or opposition; to appease; to make easy in any
situation. (from King James Dictionary)

Westley's Explanatory Notes says:
I have learned from God. He only can teach this.
In everything, therewith to be content: joyfully and thankfully patient.
I am: I know, I am insturcted, I can.

(If I'm quiet, then I'm not complaining. If I'm not complaining, am I content,
thankful?)

H. Blackaby and C. King say state in Experiencing God Study Bible:
Contentment is a state of mind, not of body.


LET IT GROW

(Are you like me and need some help in this area? Here's what I found.)


Charles Swindoll wrote in his book Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit :
Paul wrote about his secret to contentment in the letters he wrote to his
friends at Philippi and Colossae. In those letters I find at least four attitudes of
a learned contentment.
1. Paul recommends an attitude of unselfish humility.
    He held no grudges. He had no expectations. He was there by divine
    appointment. Start with your family or with one of your neighbors. Model it
    next in the workplace.
2. Paul exhorts believers to have an attitued of joyful acceptance.
    Phil.2:14-15 tells us,"Do all things without grumbling or disputing; that you
    may prove yourselves blameless and innocent, children of God above
    reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom
    you  appear as lights in the world."
    Don't complain, be joyful. That's the ticket. Joy attracts. Grumbling repels.
3. The third attitude is strong determination.
    Paul focused on the ultimate goal-pleasing Christ all the way to the goal,
    even in chains. Thomas Edison came up with the modern light bulb after a
    thousand failed attempts. He admitted it was strong determination that
    gave the light to the world, not his creative genius.
4. Paul's attitude of genuine thanksgiving is  found in Colossian 4:2-4.
    "Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of
     thanksgiving..."

Swindoll continues,"Are you making a difference in the lives of those closest
to you by the way you respond to your circumstances? Start by refusing to let
your situation determine your attitude. Rise above your circumstances.
When Christ is given full control of your life, His love and mercy will pierce
your wounded soul and allow you to release a torrent of bitterness, anger,
and resentment that has festered there for years.
Like it did for Paul, it will begin at the foot of the cross. When you come to
Him in faith, He sets you free from the things that have held you captive all
your life."


LET IT GO


Oh my. What more can I say? I needed this and have some homework to do.
Will you join me in working on being content?

Let's be like the eagle, soar above my circumstances.

Be humble, accepting, determined, and thankful.

Have faith in the God, who is in control, full control.

No comments:

Post a Comment