Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Life's Lessons

O. T. #1307  "Life's Lessons"
Oct. 17, 2018
Psalm 94

LET IT GLOW


David is crying out for the Lord's vengeance upon the oppressors of the righteous. Then he concludes that God's righteousness shall be manifested ultimately. So let's jump forward to some instruction first.
Are we happy whenever the Lord chasteneth us? David says we are blessed, which means happy.

Chasteneth means instruct, correct, teach, punish.

Guess I had not thought about it much. Truthfully, when troubles come, I usually grumble instead of looking for a lesson from the Lord, which I need to learn. Chastening goes hand in hand with His teaching out of God's law. (verse 12)

The book and the rod, the law and chastening go together. Trials and afflictions are but a means to an end, and the end is rest from our labors (Hebrews 4:9). (Falwell)

Here are some ideas on the subject by Matthew Henry:
  • The afflictions of the saints are a mark of our adoption as a child of God.
  • When we are under divine discipline, none teaches like God.
  • When we are chastened we must pray to be taught, and look into the law as the best expositor of Providence.
  • Adversities may be many and long, but shall be numbered and finished in due time, and shall not last always.
  • He that sends trouble will send the rest, that He may comfort them according to the time He has afflicted them.
  • Being reformed and relieved, affliction, so that having done its work, may be removed.
Let me tell you, I want to be a fast learner. Lord, teach me the lesson You have for me to learn, but can it be a little faster? In due time. Help me get it the first time so this problem doesn't have to be repeated.

Quite often now that I am older, my afflictions involve being sick. My body is weak due to autoimmune diseases. I recognize that is my fate. So when I am down, resting, I try to spend my time wisely by reading God's Word and Christian writings. That time is used in an attempt to find and learn the lesson He has for me to learn and apply. Not that I enjoy being down, mind you. Sometimes I wish God would just pull back my scalp and pour  in the lesson. That would be easier, but rather silly. Not His method.

What has God used to teach you some lesson lately? In due time, dear one, rest will come. In the meantime, look and listen to Him. The good news is that He will get us through this. Keep praying and learning with me. Hey, we are being prepared for heaven. It ain't over yet.

Verse 14 says, For the LORD will not cast off His people, neither will He forsake His inheritance.

Woohoo!


LET IT GROW


Lord, how long:
  • shall the wicked triumph?
  • will they be allowed to gloat?
  • will they speak in arrogance?
  • will these evil people boast?
David is saying that the wicked:
*crush Your people, hurting those You claim as Your own;
* kill widows, orphans, and foreigners;
*say that You are not looking and don't care what they do;

God punishes the nations and He will punish the evil ones. He knows everything, evil what they do. He knows people's thoughts. (verses 10 and 11)

Don't we see this happening in the world today?

LET IT GO


Lord, may You take revenge, not me.
Thank You for delivering me and choosing me to be Your child.
Keep teaching me, Jesus, the lesson in life that I need to learn and apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment