Tuesday, February 20, 2018

That Was Then, This is Now

O. T. 1154 "That Was Then, This is Now"
Feb. 20, 2018
Job 30-31
As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. 
Psalm 103:12

LET IT GLOW 

So last week I did everyday things like pouring a glass of milk, loading the dishwasher, and doing laundry. But this week is different. That was then; this is now.
I get on my knees to tip the milk jug so it pours into my glass, then push with my legs to get back up to standing. (My limit to lifting is 2 pounds.) Then I do squats to load the dishwasher. (Should have firmer leg muscles soon.) As for the laundry, again I was on my knees, sorting whites and colors into baskets. Then I had to give a refresher course of Laundry 101 to hubby as to which buttons to push. However, I neglected to tell him that to pull the knob so it begins the cycle. It presoaked for quite a while until he realized he had not put them into the dryer. I knew what happened so we probably have cleaner clothes than usual.
Things can change so quickly in a day's time. (My surgery was Friday. )It could be a phone call, a text, a visit. News can travel so fast now days, and boom, our life is different from the previous day. That's how it happened to our friend Job. After loosing everything, and covered with boils, he was visited by some friends. They shared their philosophy that all those troubles came to him due to some hidden sin. Job was a righteous man and continued to state his innocence.

Living in Job's now,

  • he had no respect from younger men; (v. 9-10)
  • he was an object of shame; (v. 15)
  • he no longer had great blessings from God; (v. 17-22)
  • no benevolence toward Job was returned to him after his previously giving to the needy (v.26-29).
Job's present misery was evident as his friends were unsympathetic and God remained silent. What trying times for Job! How will he ever survive?
He had no Psalms to read for comfort, no praise songs in the radio to uplift him, no Christian friends bringing him meals and encouragement.

LET IT GROW 

Job maintained his integrity through it all. In chapter 31, we read about his life:

  • There was no lust,
  • no lying,
  • no adultery,
  • no oppression,
  • no lack of compassion,
  • and no materialism. 
What a list. Job's heart cry is for his God to speak and judge him. What can we learn from this troubled friend, Job?
Swindoll's gives us 3 truths worth remembering:

  1. Reflecting on past blessings gives us reasons to rejoice. 
  2. Rehearsing present trials forces us to swallow our pride. 
  3. Reaffirming our commitment to integrity strengthens us with confidence and courage. 
Is our integrity revealing that we do what is right?  And when we fail, we make it right? Without it we drift into compromise. With it we stand with confidence. Integrity helps us stand fast.
Like Job, I don't understand why I got in that physical condition, but David wrote in Psalm 103, I will bless the Lord and His holy name, forget none of His benefits, recall His compassion and grace, lovingkindness. He has removed my transgressions as far as the east is from the west.

Well my experience has certainly brought me to my knees. I need to be there more often and for other reasons-prayer and praising my God for life.

LET IT GO
Thank You Jesus for bringing my through surgery without any paralysis.
Thank You for your grace and mercy You show this sinner.
Help me keep growing in faith, trusting You in my now, for You were faithful in my then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment