Thursday, February 23, 2017

ASK

O. T. #932  "ASK"
Feb. 23, 2017
2 Chronicles 1-Part 2
In that night did God appear unto Solomon, and said unto him, Ask what I shall give thee.
2 Chronicles 1:7

LET IT GLOW

Do you remember that night, that day, that moment, that month, or that year when God first appeared to you? I'm not talking about in a physical form, but Spirit to spirit-when did God first speak to you? My first time was after a classmate of mine died at age16. One night, I realized death could come at an age and I was not ready to meet my God and Creator. Not knowing the correct words, but He saw inside my heart, I knew I was headed for Hell. I did not want to go there. I know God spoke to my heart that night, forgave me of my sins, and became my Savior. What about you? Have you met with Jesus for the first time? Just ask Him and Jesus will come in and be your Savior too.

Better yet, when was the last time God spoke to you?

It was after Solomon led his captains, judges, and governors to Gibeon to worship God in the Tabernacle there. He made a thousand burnt offerings at that time. It must have pleased the Lord, for He appeared to Solomon that night in a dream. Details of this can be found in 1 Kings 3, so let's jump back there, at  verses 5-15.

God asked this young king in his twenty's, "Ask what you wish Me to give you."

How would we answer that question if asked?

However, the tables are turned in Matthew 7:7, where Jesus said:
Ask, an it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Ask
Seek
Knock

Do we take time to make requests of our Heavenly Father? Is our faith and obedience pleasing Him?

LET IT GROW

So how did Solomon answer God's question to him?
First, he knew how God had treated David, his father, and acknowledged it, who experienced:
  • great mercy,
  • truth and righteousness,
  • uprightness of heart,
  • great kindness,
  • and a son to sit on the throne.
Next, Solomon understood that he knew nothing not about how to go out or come in. (verse 7)
He was God's servant in the midst of a chosen people, that cannot be numbered. (verse 8)

Verse 9 says it all, reveals his heart as Solomon answered God's question:
Give thy servant an understanding heart to judge Thy people, that I may discern between good an bad: for who is able to judge this Thy so great a people?

In 2 Chronicle 1, Solomon requested wisdom and understanding for judging the Israelites.

Life Application Study Bible explains:
Wisdom is the ability to make good decisions based on proper discernment and judgment. Knowledge refers to the practical know-how necessary for handling everyday matters. Wisdom applies knowledge. Solomon used his wisdom and knowledge not only to build the Temple from his father's plans but also to put the nation on firm economic footing.  

Next time we will see how God answered Solomon's request.


LET IT GO

Lord, will You give me wisdom in my life?

Ask, seek, knock.



No comments:

Post a Comment